Transmission won't go into forward gears

ALTON001
  • 1987 JAGUAR XJ6
Transmission problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

I have a 1987 xj6. It was running and shifting fine one day and then the next I went to move it and it won't go forward. The engine just revs and goes nowhere. It works just fine in reverse and when I put it in drive right after stating it, it will move a little, but the warmer the engine gets, it refuses to go forward even with the Pedal on the floor. I have change the fluid and filter, the accelarator cable, the shift control cable, but with no success. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 2:29 PM

BENTLEY EVERSLEY
Hey Alton001, Do you have a coolant lost problem. Have you been checking your coolant recovery tank? If not check it and let me know if you have to add coolant. I had the same problem with my 1987 Jaguar XJ6. Get back to me.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 8:09 PM
ALTON001
I didn't think that would work, but now the tranny is shifting but not as good as it did before. It seems a little sluggish. Did you have this problem after you refilled yours?
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 10:54 AM
PMALLY
So my jag just did the same thing today I rolled out of the driveway and onto the highway, we live on the top of a hill and the highway is about 1/4 mile away on a straight away so I never noticed until I rolled out into the road and had no power so I pulled over and noticed that reverse still worked, I had used it to back out of the driveway. I drove it the night before and parked it and today when I went to drive it just wont go? I also noticed that it was about 1 and 1/2 quarts low on transmission fluid but this just happened over night kinda puzzles me usually the transmission should start slipping first before it fails. Any ideas? Should I just pull the thing out and get it rebuilt
Sunday, December 21st, 2008 AT 10:05 PM
BENTLEY EVERSLEY
Hi Alton001, Sorry but I had problems logging in, 2car pros kept sending me new pass words but none would work, so I got away from the web site for a while. I also just returned from vacation. Any way if you had this transmission problem along with the coolant lost problem for a good wile. Your problem is the trans cooler which is located directly under the radiator. It's a tubler looking piece. It's actually a tube within a tube. The inner tube carries the transmition fluid and the outer tube carries the coolant. The inner tube is leaking, and it allows coolant to enter the transmission. If it's not to late you can have an external trans cooler install and by pass the factory cooler. Have a transmission shop take a look at the extent of damage done. Get back to me.
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 5:31 PM
BENTLEY EVERSLEY
Hi Alton001, I haven't heard from you? How are things going with your Jaguar. Did you get anything accomplished? Was any of my information helpful. Drop me a line sometime. I would like to know.
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 AT 9:30 PM
ALTON001
Thank you for replying to my post. I have been in Germany and have not had a chance to check the Transmission cooler. I will do that tonight and get back with you. I refused to drive the car anywhere since it barely goes into forward gears. It did started moving a little when I topped off the radiatior, but I could tell I was loosing coolant, and couldn't find where. Hopefully This will solve my problems with the gremlins.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 AT 3:22 PM
ALTON001
I tried checking the Transmission cooler, but all seems to be fine, Is there anything else that could be the problem short of rebuilding the transmission?
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 10:56 AM
BENTLEY EVERSLEY
Dear Alton001, My transmission problem went on for almost two years, before I found out where the trans fluid was going. I did have to get the transmission rebuilt and added an external transmission cooler. You may want to call around your town to get quotes on the rebuilt cost, before towing the car anywhere. Let me know how things go, and Good luck!
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 10:30 PM
ALTON001
Well I guess I am going to have to big the bullet and pull lthe transmission this weekend. I will rebuild it and throw it back in in a couple of weeks. That's my last resort. Thanks for all the info.
Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 6:10 AM
JIM DOWNS
Any one know why my 89 xj6 has no reverse it dent matter where I put thevshifter on the J type shiftier its all forward yes its a automatic. Please help my brothers.I noticed it has a trans relay undervglove box could it be that
Tuesday, October 10th, 2017 AT 3:14 AM
KEN
It sounds like you have shift cable or mount on the transmission that has become loose. You must start by lifting the car Here is a guide so you can do that safely.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Tuesday, October 10th, 2017 AT 1:29 PM
JIM DOWNS
Thank you for the info I hope its that easy.I bought this car from a teenager Cheap 250 bucks car is in great shape. He gave up said power brakes Dont work well the res. Was empty fixed the leak power breaks are back
Tuesday, October 10th, 2017 AT 3:19 PM
KEN
Lol sweet. Let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Wednesday, October 11th, 2017 AT 10:07 AM
JIM DOWNS
Well I got it to go into reverse but not drive slips I readjust linkage it was off bubbled check it so is the drive belts bad now or can they be righted on a jag tranny
Friday, October 13th, 2017 AT 5:29 PM
KEN
I don't believe the bands can be tightened it sounds like you need a rebuild
Saturday, October 14th, 2017 AT 11:40 AM
JIM DOWNS
It appears guild to high if I change it new filter do you think with new solenoids would that work?
Saturday, October 14th, 2017 AT 1:46 PM
KEN
It is worth a try. Here is a guide that will help you.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission';

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, October 16th, 2017 AT 10:37 AM