Overheating

JPMAC
  • 2000 JAGUAR S-TYPE
Engine Cooling problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 143000 miles

Hi,

My 2000 S-Type Jaguar is getting hot randomly. It will get hot, the fan kicks on, and it cools right back down. I can let it idle forever and it will not get hot. But, out of the blue it gets hot. There is also a noticable smell of coolant. I have not seen that it is leaking anywhere. The fluid levels are fine. What is the problem?

Thank you,

Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 10:00 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
You probably have a coolant leak in the radiator and it evaporates before it hits the ground or the leak is high enough that it looses pressure but not to much coolant.

Here are a couple of guides to help you see whats going on.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-is-leaking-coolant

and if leaking this guide will give you an idea on what the job will be like

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-car-radiator

Please let us know what happens and upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers
Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 11:05 AM
JPMAC
Hey,

It is hot outside, but I have only owned the car for a short while. I can't say that it gets hot more often with the a/c running. It has gotten hot with the a/c running and without the a/c running. This has only been happening for a couple of days. I followed the guides you gave me and sure enough there is leak near the top of the radiator can you give me diagrams for my car?

Thanks for the quick response.

Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 11:16 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yep it looks like you will need to drain the air conditioner and recharge it when completed. Here are some guides for that.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/re-charge-an-air-conditioner-system

Coolant has a stronger smell when it is hotter, that is probably why you smell it.

Here are the diagrams you need to get going on the repair (below)

Let us know
Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 11:18 AM
JPMAC
Hey,

Thank you. I will do the work it and see if it is working properly. Thanks again for your time. I love this site!

Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 11:38 AM
JEEPLOVER14
Had my Jag 2000 to 3 fixit shops (2nd was the dealership at which we bought it)

Problem began during a long summer road trip and escalated to burning smell and smoke. Warning sign was that the cooling fan stayed on way too long.

1st diagnosis at local mechanic on trip - coolant levels too low. Fixed.
Problem continued and got worse. Temperatures too high. Burning smell tho fluid level was perfect.

2nd diagnosis - thermostat failure. Fixed/replaced. Problem continued. Worse still. A few days later, emergency lights on dash appeared saying STOP IMMEDIATELY. CAR IN IMMINENT DANGER, (and me 20 miles from anywhere) Car went into LIMP MODE just long enough for me to get it home. (Frightening)

3rd diagnosis. SUCCESS, I hope.
There's a SMALL SENSOR BELOW THE ACCELERATOR that controls the flow of fluid to cool the engine. Replaced that. Much improvement but still not perfect. Think some damage was done during the long wait to identify problem and necessary cooling fluid was withhheld from the engine by the faulty sensor.
+3
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 5:08 PM