97 HOMBRE - DRIVELINE WHINE

1997 Isuzu

bobpenny

November, 18, 2007 AT 1:46 PM

My 97 Hombre (CDN) has 109000 km (68000 miles) and has been maintained since new.
Drivetrain is 4.3 l Chev V6, 4L60E AT and 10 bolt GM axle.
Recently I installed some air shocks since vehicle has always been low in rear and I needed to carry about 600 lbs for 300 miles. So vehicle sits level to 1" up in rear now.
About a month later a driveline whine began which has been getting louder. It is related to vehicle speed and not to accelerate, coast, float or trans selection. It's even there in neutral.
This vehicle seems to have an upgraded driveshaft system like old Caddies which includes 2 pieces with 5 U joints and a center hanger bearing.
I can't tell where the noise is from but pulled the diff cover off and changed fluid and noticed the ring gear looks like new.
Local mechanics have various ideas and one wants to tear down the axle, pressure wash the housing and install all new bearings for $800.
Have you any advice and where should I start on this irritating problem?
Bob.

B.Hubs

March, 8, 2008 AT 7:59 PM

Has anyone checked the u-joints or bearing in that drive shaft?

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy