Installing heater hose quick connect adaptor

WILLIAM BARNETT
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
How do I remove the cracked factory quick connect from the brass tubing coming out of the firewall without damaging the heater core brass tubing so I can install new quick connector fitting?
Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 8:37 AM

STUFF LIKE THIS NEEDS TO BE "BACK HELD" OR RATHER "BACK HOLD" BOTH PIECES SO THAT YOU ARE NOT TWISTING THE WEAKER PART

I AM ASSUMING YOU CAN HOLD PIECES WITH A WRENCH OR A WRENCH AND A PIPE WRENCH. OR EVEN VISE GRIP PLIERS (AND THE CONNECTOR AIN'T SHEARED OFF EVEN)

KEEP ONE WRENCH HANDLE CLOSE TO THE OTHER HANDLE SO THAT (IF YOU HAD TO) JUST USING ONE HAND YOU COULD SQUEEZE BOTH TOOLS AT THE SAME TIME TO BREAK IT LOOSE (YES, YOU CAN USE TWO HANDS TO SQUEEZE THEN). DOING IT THIS WAY KEEPS YOU CONCENTRATED ON BREAKING IT LOOSE. WRENCHES FAR APART AND AND HANDS IN DIFFERENT LOCATIONS TEND TO MAKE YOU WIGGLE AND BEND THE PARTS

THIS NEXT STUFF I'M THROWING MAY MAKE IT EZier TO BREAK LOOSE

SINCE WE ARE DEALING WITH A DELICATE PART. USING A TORCH IS PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA TO EXPAND THE FEMALE END OF THIS, THIS COULD DAMAGE YOUR TUBING

HEAT IS GOOD SOMETIMES. USING IT MAKES ONE PART GET BIGGER SO THE OTHER WILL TURN LOOSE (AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HEAT THE MALE PART TOO---WE WANT IT TO REMAIN SMALL!

WELL. THIS WORKS IN REVERSE TOO!

WE CAN MAKE THE MALE PART CONTRACT OR GET SMALLER WHILE LEAVING THE FEMALE AT ROOM/ OUTDOOR TEMPERATURE (DON'T GET IT COLD)

HERE'S HOW. THEM "CANNED AIR" CANS THAT YOU CLEAN YOUR COMPUTER KEYBOARD WITH, WORK VERY WELL WHEN YOU TURN 'EM UPSIDE DOWN. CAREFUL! THE LIQUID WILL INSTANTLY FREEZE YOUR HANDS. EYES. ETC!

SIMPLY FREEZE THE "INNER PART" NEAR THE THREADS IF YOU CAN---THE COLD WILL TRAVEL OR CONDUCT THRU THE METAL EVEN IF YOU CAN'T GET RIGHT UP ON IT---BUT DON'T FREEZE THE "OUTER PART" (YOU MAY EVEN WRAP A RAG ETC AROUND THE OUTER PART TO KEEP IT "WARM"

IN MY PIC IS THE SAME KINDA STUFF AS I DESCRIBED--'CEPT SOMEBODY CANNED IT JUST SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS PURPOSE. SEE MY PIC

LEMME KNOW IF THIS HELPS

Saturday, March 1st, 2014 AT 8:59 PM