POWER STEERING PUMP

1991 Infiniti G20

KUjj

February, 9, 2009 AT 1:41 PM

Steering problem
1991 Infiniti G20 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I recently changed the power steering hose (high pressure). All went well. Almost.

A leak quickly developed at the pump connection. The fitting was tight, yet the hose would move (rotate). It turned out that a fitting between the pump and the hose was loose. As there is a pin to prevent rotation of the bango fitting, this meant removing the hose completely (lower/pump connection) to tighten properly.

Upon removal of the thru bolt holding the banjo fitting, an adaptor was still attached to the hose. In addition, a brass " valve" fell from the hole in the pump. It is a Tee shaped cylinder with rings cut into it. It fits into the pump, then a coupling/adaptor holds it in place. This coupling/adaptor is what the bolt for the banjo fitting goes into. Valve-adaptor-hose/bolt.

Finally the question. Which way does the valve go? I quickly developed a leak from the power steering rack, and I think it may be related to that valve. Perhaps if backwards I lose the return path? Help. The dealer I bought the hose from will not return the calls. If I need a new rack, so be it. But I don't want to blow out a new rack due to a bad valve.

Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200