In and out of rough driving

TMCINTOSH11
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
I just bought this vehicle and the lot I bought it from said the only thing wrong with it was the rough idling, he said it's probably because it needs a tune up, which boy it did.
So I changed the oil, plugs and air filter and the rough idle is only slightly better. The weird thing is after you drive it for a while the rough idle goes away instantly, sometimes it comes back. I had the codes pulled and all it says is misfire bank #1, which I guess it means cylinder 1, it also brings up faulty 02 sensor, I did not change the plug wires but oh my gosh were the old plugs bad! It is amazing it ran at all with those in it. But anyway the wires did not look bad. I just hope to god this is not a fuel injector problem. Any ideas would be great, thanks.
Saturday, August 6th, 2016 AT 6:48 PM

SATURNTECH9
You cannot look a spark plug wires and tell if there bad. Also do the wires have a date on them? What are the exact code numbers not code descriptions? I have never seen a bank 1 code mean cylinder 1 Miss fire. That would be a code p0301 and would say cylinder 1 miss fire. I think bank 1 lean so what are the exact code numbers not code descriptions? It will be a letter followed by a four digit number. That lean code code be your idling rough when it is cold.
Saturday, August 6th, 2016 AT 10:38 PM
TMCINTOSH11
There were three codes that came up before I changed the plugs.
P0301 P0171 P0201
I cannot see a date on the wires, but I was so sure the plugs were the problem. But there are the codes, hope this narrows it way down. Thanks.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 5:07 AM
SATURNTECH9
So when you cleared the codes which codes come back? I would be looking into the p0171 lean bank 1 most likely you have a vacuum leak.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 7:41 PM
TMCINTOSH11
So am I looking at a vacuum hose or could it be something much more major? Earlier when I drove it it smoothed out all of a sudden and I swear I could not feel it running, I hope whatever it is its quick and easy. I thought about getting some crc maf sensor cleaner and trying it but it's a long shot and it's $10.00 a can. What do you think I should try doing? Thanks for your reply.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 8:09 PM
SATURNTECH9
Number one fix for that code is bad pcv hose I would start looking there.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 8:26 PM
SATURNTECH9
Also pcv itself and the rubber grommet the pcv valve goes in.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 8:27 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Got ya, I might go ahead and replace both the hose and pcv valve since they are easy and inexpensive. But what about the p0201 cylinder 1 injector circuit malfunction? Is it something to worry about? Thanks.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 8:32 PM
SATURNTECH9
Also replace the rubber grommet the pcv goes into. So does the p0201 keep coming back after clearing it?
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 9:08 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Yes after clearing the codes it still has all three. It worries me because when I first start it of a morning the engine will shake violently once it is around 1000 rpm's, it also does it in over drive, I am scared it will damage the mounts if they are not already.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 9:13 PM
SATURNTECH9
Let's see where the pcv hose valve etc takes us and go from there. One code at a time.
Sunday, August 7th, 2016 AT 9:34 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Okay, so I did some more work on it, I replaced the PCV valve, grommet and the hose looked fine so I left it on, I cleaned the MAF sensor, somehow it had a tiny feather on the wire and got it off. I cleared the codes again, this time I took out the pcm fuse under the hood for a few minutes, I drove it again for about an hour, no change in performance, check engine light comes back on so I pull the codes again and only one came up, P0201 - cylinder 1 injector circuit malfunction. At least I got rid of two codes thought. So from here does it sound like a injector or injector harness? I also checked for vacuum leaks, the plug wires were checked and they are good. If this turns out to be an injector how hard would it be to replace? Thanks.
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 10:34 AM
SATURNTECH9
Do you have a multi meter to ohms check the injector?
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 12:07 PM
TMCINTOSH11
No I do not have anything like that, I actually would not know how to check it.
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 12:18 PM
SATURNTECH9
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

I just post a how to us one for you you would ohms check it to start with.
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 2:58 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Right on, this will definitely help, I was hoping it did not come to this, but I prepared myself for it anyway. Thanks for your help, the new PCV valve helped a little, when it runs smooth it kills me because I keep thinking it died on me, but at least I know how it should run once its fixed and it saved me from having to do it later on.
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 5:31 PM
SATURNTECH9
Unplug the injector measure the ohms resistance across the two terminals of it compare it to the other injectors.
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 6:59 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Well I just found out what the problem was with the injectors, the problem was that it wasn't them, or the harness, or anything near that. The intake has a coolant leak that is leaking into cylinder 1, the reason for the rough driving when it's cool is because coolant seeped into the cylinder and after driving it it runs the coolant out of it and it smooths out. The spark plug in it still looks like I had just put it in there because the coolant is washing it off. So my next question would be, is there a sealant I can buy that could fix this at least temporarily? I'm going to just replace the motor but that won't be till February. Thanks
Monday, August 29th, 2016 AT 1:29 PM
SATURNTECH9
There are pour in sealants that you put in while it's running. It shows in the video coolant stops coming out the tail pipe within a couple of mins.I don't remember the name let me ask someone.
Monday, August 29th, 2016 AT 6:14 PM
TMCINTOSH11
Ok, I noticed it was slowly losing coolant but didn't see any leaks, I checked the oil fill cap and oil dip stick periodically and never seen any coolant in the oil, it never comes close to over heating, how long do you think it will last like this?
Monday, August 29th, 2016 AT 8:21 PM
SATURNTECH9
That stuff I was thinking of was for the head gasket not a intake gasket. Your best bet would be to change the intake manifold I gasket if that's what is leaking. It will get worse no telling how long before it will get worse.
Monday, August 29th, 2016 AT 9:12 PM