Ignition Coil

KKELSO555
  • 2004 FORD ESCAPE
Hello. I had my check engine light come on so I got it diagnosed and the code came up at Cylinder #6 misfiring. I want to know if I should replace just the one ignition coil misfiring and maybe the spark plugs or If I should go ahead and replace the back three coils because of the car already being disassembled to get to them. I really want to know if one coil goes bad, do they all soon after? I just had a front coil replaced three months ago. These are getting to be expensive repairs so I just want to make the right decision.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 12:39 PM

SATURNTECH9
So we know the coil is for sure bad?You don't have spark on number 6 cylinder?You swapped the coil to a different cylindert o see if the misfire follows?If you only have one bad coil I. Would just change the one that's bad. That's whati would do if it was my car. Also inspect the plugs.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 12:44 PM
KKELSO555
I don't how to tell if the coil is definitely bad. This is what the auto repair place said when they did the check engine light diagnosis. I dont know how much they evaluated the situation but I might have to ask them to change the coil around to be sure.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 12:48 PM
SATURNTECH9
It hard to say what they tested or didn't test unless they told you. So is the misfire a constant one?Like the one cylinder isn't firing at all?
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 12:51 PM
SATURNTECH9
Also you are doing the replacing of the coils or the shop that diagnosedi t?
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 12:53 PM
KKELSO555
Yes the engine light is constantly on and sometimes will flash and the car jerks even when in park and very much when it accelerates. The code on the engine light diagnosis came up as PO316 and PO306.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 12:54 PM
KKELSO555
I will have an auto repair place replace the coils as I am not very handy with cars haha
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 12:55 PM
SATURNTECH9
So is the car apart now to accesst the coils?
KKELSO555
No it is not. I just wanted an opinion before I took in as to what I should do. The repair place said that basically half the engine has to be disassembled to get to the back coils where this one is misfiring. I just was curious if it could be a different problem other than the coils and if I really needed to replace them all as they recommended.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 12:57 PM
SATURNTECH9
OK so if the shop that diagnosed the bad coil will stand behind the diagnosis then I would have the coil replaced. It's up to you if you want to replace all three while there in there. If the spark plugs haven't been done in a while now might be the time also.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 12:58 PM
SATURNTECH9
As far as other possible causes you could have a bad spark plug injector wiring or engine computerWithout knowing what was tested or done it's hard to say.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 1:01 PM
KKELSO555
Okay this is actually been very helpful thank you much
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 1:06 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome glad I could help you out
Wednesday, December 30th, 2015 AT 9:48 PM