I replaced my fuel pump and fuel filter

TRINAMINYARD
  • 2002 FORD F-150
Hi, I replaced my fuel pump and the fuel filter on my 2002 Ford F150 and my truck ran fine up until this morning. Went out to start my truck to go to work this morning and it would turn over, but it would not crank could you please tell me what else it could be?
Thank you so much.
Saturday, March 5th, 2016 AT 4:45 AM

WRENCHTECH
I think you mean it would crank but would not start.

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Saturday, March 5th, 2016 AT 6:09 AM
TRINAMINYARD
Hi again, well my fiancee was working on my truck and we had just replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter. But he took the fuel filter off again and cleaned it out and it appears to have water in the fuel. Can you please tell me how what might be causing that to happen? We replaced the fuel pump a week ago today. Please help. Thank you.
Saturday, March 5th, 2016 AT 6:45 AM
WRENCHTECH
If you have water in the fuel, merely changing the fuel pump isn't going to get rid of it. The tanks need to be removed and cleaned out.
Saturday, March 5th, 2016 AT 6:54 AM