I need to replace my engine.

OSOGOLOSO
  • 1999 OLDSMOBILE SILHOUETTE
I want to know what the best way to remove and replace the engine on my Oldsmobile is.
Tuesday, September 1st, 2015 AT 3:49 PM

GM front-wheel-drive drive train components are removed by lowering the cross member with them on it, but it's critical that you mark it so it is reinstallled exactly in the same place. If the cross member is shifted to either side by as little as 1/16", that will move the lower control arms too, and that will tilt the wheels to one side on top. An inexperienced alignment mechanic will quickly see that "camber" is off on both wheels and he will try to adjust that, but it doesn't address the underlying "steering axis inclination", (SAI), that is now unequal on both sides. That will cause REAL miserable handling and unpredictable steering response.

All alignment computers measure SAI automatically, but the mechanic has to think to look at it, otherwise we typically ignore it. There is no spec for SAI. It simply has to be equal on both sides.

Also, camber is adjusted by loosening the two lower strut mounting bolts, then shifting the strut and spindle. Instead of separating those bolts and messing up those adjustments, remove the three nuts from the upper mounting plates on both sides, then lower the entire strut and spring assemblies with the cross member.
Tuesday, September 1st, 2015 AT 4:22 PM