2006 Hyundai Sonata Stubborn Check Engine Light

JJMIZIN
  • 2006 HYUNDAI SONATA
I own a 2006 Hyundai Sonata V6. I have taken it to several dealerships because the check engine light had come on. During 3 of the inspections, they found Code P0456 and changed the following parts: Canister Valve, Purge Valve and Air Flow Meter. Is there something that they are missing? The light seems to be an ongoing issue and just came back on. Please, any info as to what the core issue could be, I'd appreciate it. I've got an appointment to take it, once again, back to the dealership for service. It would be nice to ask them to check for something specific.
Thanks much. John
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 10:27 PM

FLEXY5
Do you know if they have done a smoke test on it? It's a test that pumps smoke into the system which should be sealed. Wherever the smoke escapes is the leak. It shouldn't be a guessing game. The other thing to look for is the gas cap. If the vent on the cap is faulty it will set off the light. Find out about the smoke test though and post back any further info on their diagnostics if you can. Thanks
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 11:05 PM
JJMIZIN
I do not think that they've performed a smoke test. It seems like they just hook the car up to their computer and whatever code their computer gives them, they work off of. I'll ask them to perform the smoke test and also ask about the gas cap vent. Hopefully, they'll be able to figure out what the real issue is. My next appointment is on Wednesday March 5th. I'll post an update after and let you know what the outcome is. Thanks again. John
Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 10:32 AM
JJMIZIN
They came back with the same code: P0456 and replaced the canister valve again. They said they did a smoke test and that a leak came from this part. They also checked the gas cap vent and said it was working properly. When my wife picked up the car today and started to drive the car from the dealership, the light came back on. There has got to be something that they're not seeing, doing, or checking. It's getting really fustrating. Please any additional help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 1:58 PM
FLEXY5
Most purge valves are electromechanical, meaning they require voltage to open a solenoid. Most of the time they are drop voltage 5vref. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe you have a short that is holding open the purge valve, or maybe the computer is getting a false signal from a monitoring sensor and commanding the solenoid to stay open. Since they have replaced the valve twice and it doesn't even make it home before it bums out again, the problem is not the canister valve. They have determined the symptom and addressed the system. They can identify the component, now they just need to find the cause. Something else is wrong and you need to have them look at the bigger picture. My suggestion would be to take it back and tell them you don't want it back until it is completely fixed. And make sure that they drive it for two complete drive cycles (complete warm up to complete cool down is one drive cycle).
+2
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 9:50 PM
JJMIZIN
I've called hyundai customer service. They said that they would look at the car's history and call the dealership that's been working on my car. They said that they would work with the dealership to solve the problem. When I take the car back this Friday, I'll definitely tell them what you told me. Hopefully, they'll be able to figure out what the cause is and fix the problem this time. Thanks again for your help and I'll keep you updated as this gets resolved. John
Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 AT 12:48 PM
JJMIZIN
They finally found the real problem. When we first purchased the car, it needed a new fuel pump. They took two weeks to install it. While installing it, they did not set the O-Ring correctly on it, so the leak was from a gap in the O-Ring. It took several attempts and a call to customer affairs to get it right. We've had the car for more than a week now and the check engine light has remained off. Thanks for all your assistance with this. I'll definitely come back to this site if I need any more info or help. Thanks much, your help was appreciated. Sincerely, John.
+1
Monday, March 31st, 2008 AT 5:28 PM