2001 Hyundai Sonata 2001 Hyundai Sonata Loss of power

QUINNER6969
  • 2001 HYUNDAI SONATA
For the past six months I have had acceleration problems in 2001 Sonata. I had the spark plugs replaced about three months ago and all that did was stop the car from shaking like crazy. Also when I accelerate there is an ocasionally a popping sound coming from the engine. About two months ago I was driving on the Hwy and all of a sudden the car would not go over 40 km/hr and was making a noise similar sound to a bad muffler but coming from the engine. I was advised by a friend to unhook the battery to reset the computer. I left it unhooked all night and the next morning the issue seemed to be resolved but still had poor acceleration. I took it to the dealer because I didn't want this to happen again. They said the only code they where getting was a bad outout speed sensor. After they fixed this the car had no issues except for the poor acceleration still. Today driving on the hwy I had the same issue. The car would not go above 40 and there was a loud deep sound coming out of the engine that I can only decribe as sounding like a bad muffler. I don't want to have to keep replacing the sensor every couple of months as this could be very expensive. Is there anything that could be causing the sensor to keep going bad like this? The mechanic at the dealer said that replacing the sensor should fix the loss of power problem but they would need to look further to find the problem with the poor acceleration. Which of course will cost more money.
Monday, October 12th, 2009 AT 8:23 PM

First, I would expect the VSS they installed should still be under warranty. So contact them about that. As far as the lack of power, one of the most common problems is a plugged catylatic converter. When driving, if it plugs, it will cause a change in engine sound and also a reduction in power. I would have that checked.

Just for the heck of it, is the check engine light coming on? If it is, take it to a nationally recognized parts store and have them scan the computer for codes. Let me know what they are. If could just identify the VSS again, or there could be other codes and I need to know what they are.

Try that and let me know what you find. Also, most parts stores will do it for free, so there shouldn't be any additional money out of pocket for you.

+1
Monday, October 12th, 2009 AT 9:44 PM