1995 Hyundai Sonata timing

EMILYDA
  • 1995 HYUNDAI SONATA
I have attempted to do some timing belt work on my car after a loud knocking had developed. This knocking was heard at first when the engine warmed up and at idle in park, neutral and drive. It then a few days later could be heard will driving without foot on gas. The timing belt ordeal started because I took it to a local mechanic who decided it was the belt hitting the cover.

I have to also add that my car has had a horrible idle/ misfire for about 4 years. I have not been able to fix it myself and mechanics have not wanted to dig into it on my car.

I now have my car apart, I was in the process of lining up my timing marks, when I nothing would fit. DOHC motor-interference.
My camshafts can be lined to a tee with dowl pins up and marls on side are so even a ruler sits flush with the marks. But down on my crank shaft and oil pump they were sitting in opposite directions about 90 degrees off from the mark. I then tried lining my crankshaft to the mark where the oil pump lined up as well. From there I turned the crankshaft in four 360 degree turns. After each turn checking my camshaft timing marks. In the end my camshaft and oil pump stayed right on mark where my camshaft dowel pins both faced to the right 90 degrees on each side away from their timing mark. So from there I stopped working on the car altogether, and stepped away questioning everything.
At this point the timing seems to be 180 degrees out, and as far as I knew no car could run with timing that far out! I can't distingusih if the belt has jumped, or if it was put on incorrectly.
Can I attempt to fix the timing marks at this point?

I wasn't even 100% certain the belt was the number one issue to the knocking, but I thought I would start somewhere before I dug in further.

Advice?
Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 12:14 AM

LEGITIMATE007
Oh yes, the belt must have jumped. You have to take the belt off re alighn the timing marks. Then put a new belt on, but damage may have already been done if it jumped that far. Once you put it together you'll have to do a compression check to see if any damage has been done
Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 12:41 AM
AIRSOFTSOLDRECN9
The car wouldnt start if you were even 5 degrees off. At 180 degrees if you turned the engine over, one it wouldn't start, two you would kiss that engine goodbye since a valve would most likely hit a piston. (One of the reasons why I think the engineers who designed that are absolute idiots. If the belt slips then you are screwed since they are tensioned by friction only it is about as good as a serpentine belt. The probability of skipping a timing chain tooth is slim and if it happens it is because you are doing something stupid.) If you want to align it properly you need to rotate the crank until the number 1 piston is TDC. Take off the valve cover and look at the camshaft and valves. Like you said you have two possibilities 0 or 180 degrees out since there is 2 rotations of the crank per rotation of the cams. Line up the marks and see if the valves on the number 1 piston are both closed. The camshaft lobes should not be pushing down on the valve stems of the exhaust or intake valves. The only thing I can't remember is if the drivers side cam is for intake and the passenger for exhaust or if both intake valves are in pairs followed by exhaust in pairs. If the camshafts are identical then it is the latter. Either way it dosent matter all four of those valves should be completely closed at TDC. So line up the camshafts accordingly.
Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 2:33 AM