2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Engine lurching forward

ELSOL1
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
When stopped at an intersection or sometimes upon acceleration, when I apply the gas peddal, I feel the engine lurch forward. Not a good feeling. What could it be? My Hyndai dealer wants to run an electrical scan to diagnose the problem, but I would like to have the heads up on the issue.

Thank You,
E
Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 AT 7:35 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi elsol1,

Thank you for the doonation.

Is the any warning indicator showing while driving?
What is the engine idling when stopped?
Any other issues with performance?
When problem occured, was the gear shift engaged in Drive all the time?
Friday, September 4th, 2009 AT 12:33 PM
ELSOL1
Thanks for the reply! No indicator lights showing at all.
I've got my foot on the brake at the intersection and the gear shift is engaged in Drive the entire time.
Yes, the care is idling, normally.

I had the oil changed less than 3,000 miles ago at Fletchers and they changed the air filter too. Awhile after that I noticed this jerking/lurching, like the SUV wants to take off on its own.

Last week I had Hyundai dealer perform the 45,000 mile check up on the Santa Fe hoping that with topping off all the fluids and checking hoses and transmission they might find something, but no such luck.
What do you think?
Friday, September 4th, 2009 AT 9:51 PM
KHLOW2008
When there is any vacumn leakages, surging would occur and that would cause the symptoms described.

I would suggest checking for dislodged vacumn hoses.

Does problem occur with AC turned on all the time? If yes, it could be the AC compressor engaging or disengaging and that could be caused by slow response from the IAC. Cleaning it should improve on the situation.
Saturday, September 5th, 2009 AT 12:54 PM
ELSOL1
Thanks so very much for your response. I've been busy working with the Hyundai dealer, and a private mechanic, trying to come up a resolution to this problem. Well, Problem solved!

No Thanks, to the dealer. The privately owned mechanic took my car out for a test drive and attached a diagnostic box to the electrical panel and decided that it was missing, not lurching. So, he changed the spark plugs.4 to be exact. $74.00 later, I was a happy customer. All this in an hour!

I love the fact that I can speak to the mechanic directly without the middle man at the dealership. This saves time, and money. Thanks to you, and to this great website for giving me the confidence to seek another opinion other than the Hyundai dealership.
Friday, September 18th, 2009 AT 5:58 PM
KHLOW2008
Thank you for the input.

Glad that you have resolved the problem.

Have a nice day.

Thank you for using 2carpros
Saturday, September 19th, 2009 AT 7:33 AM