SERPENTINE BELT REMOVAL

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

Lawrence2010

January, 21, 2010 AT 4:55 AM

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Hello!
How is the spring loaded belt tensioner moved so that the belt can be removed? Neither the Chilton's manual or the instructions on Hyundai's site describe this enough or accurately. Hyundai's site indicates to use a 16mm spaner (sic). The Chilton book says to use a long ratchet or breaker bar. There appear to be only 2 bolts holding the tensoner assembly to the engine, but it seems like I may have only to push the pulley downward to loosen the tension. I can't see how to do this without leveraging against another pulley and/or the belt itself, risking damage. This is a 2.7L V6. Any help would be truly appreciated!
Thank You - Lawrence

Changing Drivebelt

Need Infomation. .

1 ANSWER

January, 21, 2010 AT 9:22 AM

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for the donation.

The tensioner lever is turned clockwise to release the tension to remove the belting.

At the 3 o'clock position of the tensioner is a square block jutting out. Use the 16 mm open end spanner to lock onto it as a leverage point.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_DriveBelt02SantaFe27LV6Fig03_1.jpg

Lawrence2010

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/467674_Tension_Arm_1.jpg

Thank you for the quick response. The block at 3 o'clock is not nearly as square as that in the diagram. In the uploaded photo, you can see how it doesn't even look designed to take a spanner - the upper side is curved. It's also about 14 1/2 mm wide. I must be missing something basic here: is the entire arm and pulley supposed to be rotated clockwise to reduce the tension enough to remove the belt? I'm assuming that 'tensioner lever' is the entire arm with the pulley at the end.
Thanks Again - Lawrence

January, 22, 2010 AT 8:19 AM

The arm with the pulley should be turned clockwise. Our database does not have any other diagrams for the tensioner and personally those that I have dealt with either have a bolt at the pully side or an indent for holding a box handle to use as leverage point.

At the bottom end where pulley bearing is attached I see a small indent in your picture. Is it suqare or round? If it is square or hexagonal, then that would be the best point to attach a wrench to turn the arm.

Alternatively, are the 4 indents at center of arm able to provide any grip for some tools?

Lawrence2010

A poster in alt. Autos. Hyundai cleared things up. There's a square at the end of the tensioner arm right in front of the pulley made for a 3/8" ratchet. After placing the square of the ratchet there I needed only to apply my body weight to easily remove the belt. The Hyundai site and the Chilton's manual are both incorrect, and don't even depict the ratchet hole. Thank you for all your help - I had never worked with a tensioner arm before and am a little embarrassed that I didn't understand what I needed to do. Thanks Again.

Glad that you have resolved the problem.

There is nothing to be embarassed about as for all things there are always a first time.

Have a nice day.

kallosue

March, 30, 2010 AT 2:14 PM

Would either of you happen to know how to remove the bolts to be able to replace the serpentine belt tensioner?

March, 30, 2010 AT 2:54 PM

The diagram shows the tensioner holding bolts, one on either of the tensioner. After removing the belt, you can proceed to remove the tensioner.

Old-n-Grey

July, 29, 2010 AT 8:14 PM

The illustration posted earlier is no help in identifying how to release the tension. The wrench is applied to the bottom of the tension arm, NOT to that little tab at the top of the arm assembly.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/556092_DriveBeltSantaFe27LV6_2.jpg

July, 31, 2010 AT 8:51 AM

Hi Old-n-Grey,

Sorry you got it wrong.

Along the post we mentioned a 3/8" ratchet holding point. The red shaded area is where the socket or ratchet handle can fit to turn the tensioner arm.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_DriveBelt02SantaFe27LV6Fig03_2.jpg

Old-n-Grey

July, 31, 2010 AT 11:46 PM

I regret bothering to sign up just to set this issue straight. But I was NOT wrong.

The later information about a 3/8" ratchet hole only applies to later models of the tensioner.

Anyone relying upon your " red shaded area" will be lost if they have the early version and attempt to use either the first descriptions posted above or your reference.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe