2002 Hyundai Santa Fe alternator

LYNN LANDRY
  • 2002 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
I would like to know if I got over charged to put in a new alternator in my car.

I had an emergency repair on my car. I had it towed to a garage in wallingford, Ct. They diagonosed it as the alternator, which I suspected it was.

Problem is, it seems very high, the final cost. They replaced the alternator with a remanufactured alternator. The final cost was $495.00. The break down was $135.00 labor, which only took about 2 hours from start of diagonsis, to getting the part, to putting it in, $249.00 for the alternator, $30.00 for the belt. $8.0 to recharge the battery, electrical system test $39.00. Thank you for a response
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 AT 11:41 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

Well. That is close in some ways.I hate to say. Here is my brake down.

My info is about $555 for all. About 96 for labor and 459 for parts but that is for a new alternator and I can't figure in the electrical check. So if we go by this. And yours is a rebuilt that maybe a little high. But depending on the area costs it may be okay. As it is only about $60 off.

Too bad you couldn't have done it yourself.I show, depending on the alternator for your car a 110 amp one at Autozone for a lifetime warranty for about $201 and a 95 amp for about $170. Belt is about $25 and they can check out your system for free.

So if you could have done it would have been between $209 and $242.

But, if you were stuck there isn't much you can do about that. Even as a mechanic if I break down on the open road, no tools etc I too am at the mercy of the area.

I think you should feel okay. My estimate is only about $60 off from yours. So try not to worry about it. I think you are okay.
Thursday, December 24th, 2009 AT 12:20 AM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Hey one other thing that may make you feel a little better especially if your car needs it and it is free to repair.

It looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Santa_Fe_Recall_1.jpg

Thursday, December 24th, 2009 AT 12:23 AM