2003 Hyundai Elantra Problems with Oil Leaking

MAKINSBEANS
  • 2003 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra with $57500 miles. My last oil change was in January with no problems

4 days ago I noticed my oil light came on. This was the first time it ever happened. I pulled over and checked the oil. It seemed low so I added a bottle and went home. I didn't drive the car for the next couple days and let it sit.

Yesterday morning I checked the oil level and it was low and I noticed some oil on the ground beneath the car. It wasn't a puddle, but I noticed a softball size stain on the pavement.

Last night I took the car to a national chain auto repair because it is close to my home. They changed the oil and as I was leaving a mechanic alerted me that my car was leaking. When we both looked it was actually gushing oil.

They took it back in the shop and put it on the lift and said it was a leaking oil pan gasket and would cost $350 to fix. Today I called to check on the progress of the repair and was told it a leaking front crank shaft seal and they recommended that I change the timing belt as well and that the cost would be $720.

A couple hours ago I called back after not hearing anything ( I was told my car would be ready by 3pm) that they can't seem to fix the seal (they said they tried twice) and that I need to replace the entire engine at a cost of around $2000 or more. They also told me that "you probably didn't have problems before because they used a thicker oil during your last oil change that kept they oil from leaking out too fast"

I feel I am being ripped off because they don't know what the problem is and how to fix it so their solution is to replace the entire engine. A $35 oil change has now ballooned to over $2000 in repairs to replace an engine.

I know the car isn't new but it has been well maintained and has very low mileage.

Please advise and thank you in advance for your expertise.
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 7:34 PM

JACK42
Get it out of that shop. It sounds like they dont know where it is leaking from, so they are going to throw out the baby with the bath water.I would have the vehicle towed to another shop for a second opinion, may be a bad cam seal or oil sending unit, you never now. But after hearing that, I wouldnt let them proceed with anything
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 9:26 AM
MAKINSBEANS
I will have the car removed tomorrow or the day after. I don't know of any other mechanics in this area, I will have to ask around.

What they told me today was that their is play in the crankshaft where it shouldn't be. After laying out all the facts the service manager agreed that I shouldn't be having this problem, especially with a car with such low mileage. He said he can't figure it out but he was going to call a Hyundai dealer repair shop to get their opinion.

I figured it can't hurt since I can't pick up the car for another day, but I told him not to do anything else with it unless they contact me.

If you have any other insight on what this may be please feel free to share.
Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 3:17 PM
JACK42
Not sure if hes talking about crank end play or bearing wear (up and down) It would have to be a ton of play to cause a seal to leak. Did the engine make any noise before it was taken apart?
Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 10:37 PM