INTERMITTENT LOW OIL PRESSURE, EVEN AFTER OI

2006 Hummer H2

mfischer70

May, 23, 2010 AT 12:00 AM

2006 Hummer H2 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I recently took over as Shop Manager at a limo company and just caught the tail end of another tech installing a new oil pump. So I asked a few questions and learned the vehicle had low oil pressure and the company's owner made an instant diagnosis and said, " replace the oil pump.&Quot;
Then the tech tried to start to motor without priming the oil pump. And then finally, after managing to start the motor without seizing it, there was still intermittent low oil pressure.
I checked the oil pressure sensor, it seems good. I'm waiting for my special tools to show up and i'll check the oil pressure at the top and the bottom. And i've learned that the camshaft bearings in this motor have a tendency to wear and start " walking" and blocking the galley holes.
Is this possible? And i'm trying to learn how exactly I can check the camshaft bearings. Please help! This is my first Shop Manager position and i'm not particularly familiar with Hummers yet. I don't want to look bad!

May, 23, 2010 AT 12:27 AM

An actual oil pressure check is done by using a mechanical gauge to read the oil pressure could be the oil pump itself, engine gearings/blockage

Checking the camshaft bearings -you need to mike the camshaft lobes and use a plastigauge to determine bearing clearances.

Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic