Hub assembly

JAMES1832
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Replaced hub assembly front left. Backed up 10 ft and bearing broke. Is this due to defective part? I followed your Utube video which was great and it went fine no problems until I moved the truck.
Wednesday, February 17th, 2016 AT 3:09 PM

Sounds like you have a four-wheel-drive and the half shaft wasn't installed or the axle nut wasn't torqued properly. The outer cv joint is what holds the bearing assembly together. There must never be any vehicle weight on the bearing unless that cv joint is torqued to specs. Specs can be very high. Almost all cars call for around 180 foot pounds. Some GM trucks call for up to 240 foot pounds. The value is usually listed on the sheet that comes with the bearing. That has to be set with a click-type torque wrench. If the axle nut isn't torqued to specs, the most common symptom is the bearing becomes noisy and makes a loud humming sound.

Also, many vehicles use a "torque-to-yield axle nut which is a one-time-use nut. It must be replaced, not reused, anytime it is loosened. If you have that design, a new nut typically comes with the new bearing. Reusing the old nut won't cause what you described. It will cause problems later.

Those bearings are really tough. I've never seen one on any brand of vehicle be defective out of the box. All failures are due to improper installation procedures.
Wednesday, February 17th, 2016 AT 3:27 PM
JAMES1832
It is a 2 wheel drive. Three bots to hold hub, put rotor, brakes, caliber, and tire back on. Checked to see if wheel turned and there was no play in bearing.
Wednesday, February 17th, 2016 AT 3:50 PM
Well, that blows my sad story all to pieces. I still have never seen a new bearing fall apart, but there is no axle nut or torque spec to worry about. My best suggestion is to take the smoldering pile of ruble to the parts store and have them look at it. I can't think of anything you could have done wrong to cause it to fail.
Wednesday, February 17th, 2016 AT 4:27 PM
JAMES1832
I can't either. Thanks for your help.
Wednesday, February 17th, 2016 AT 4:30 PM