How to know when to give up on a car?

JEANNEWOLFE
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
Local mechanic specializes in American cars says it sounds like multiple problems - if we drive car more than about 20 minutes, the engine revs, up to about 70 - not sure if it speeds up or just revs - then down shifts & speedometer drops back to about 50 and if we don't get off the road quickly [within about 10 to 15 min] it will literally stop responding. Car has been parked for almost a week [local mechanic recommended not driving it] and now there is oil running over garage floor. Mechanic wants $275 to diagnose - which is a perfectly fair price - but I have no job, my daughter bought a used vehicle so no more savings & it is on my insurance - I have put $500 into transmission work for this problem [which obviously did not work beyond the short term] as well as $500 into new tires and a new battery. I know my Neon needs water pump and timing belt replaced, but afraid I am throwing more money at a "dead horse" when I don't have the money to spare. [The radio works fine - LOL ] so I am wondering how to decide when / whether I should donate or dump my car.
Friday, December 11th, 2015 AT 7:06 PM

I STOLE MY '95 ABOUT 12 YEARS AGO FOR $250! I DIDN'T REALLY WANT IT, I FIGGERED I COULD RESALE IT FOR A CHUNK!

IT WAS A GREAT 65,000 MILE VEHICLE, EVERYTHING WORKED GREAT ON IT, INCLUDING THE A/C, IT GOT/ STILL GETS 30 MPG. ALL I HAVE EVER DONE TO IT WAS REPLACE THE THE O2 SENSORS, BRAKES, 2 BATTERIES, AND ROUTINE MAINTENANCE.

THE ORIGINAL OWNER NEVER DROVE IT AND WAS CONVINCED IT HAD A "SHORT" IN IT, DUE TO THE BATTERY BEING DEAD (EVERY 6 MONTHS WHEN THEY WANTED TO DRIVE IT)

WIFE DECIDED TO "LET" HER DAUGHTER (24 YEAR OLD SQUATTER) TEMPORARILY USE IT UNTIL SHE COULD REPAIR HER VEHICLE.

FOUR YEARS LATER, I GOT BACK THE SOMEWHAT HELL DAMAGED/ ABUSED NEON, MAINLY THE INTERIOR

SEEMS PRIORITIES WERE ELSEWHERE (TRIPS/ BEACH/ CLOTHING/ PARTYING) INSTEAD OF SPENDING $300 TO REPAIR HER FORD EXPLODER. (WHY WOULD YOU, WHEN MAMA WOULD MAINTAIN, INSURE, A FREE RIDE?)

I STILL FEEL THAT I HAVE NOT GOTTEN MY $250s WORTH OUT OF THE LITTLE THING!

IT NEEDS REAR STRUTS, BUT I JUST CANNOT JUSTIFY SPENDING MORE FOR THEM, THAN I DID ON THE WHOLE CAR. BESIDES, I'VE RIDDEN IN ROUGHER VEHICLES, AND THIS IS ONLY SHORT TERM RIDES!

WHAT THE HECK, IT'S DRIVEN AROUND THE BLOCK OR ON AN ERRAND EVERY 2 WEEKS, TO KEEP IT OPERATIONAL. IT IS NICE TO HAVE SOMETHING/ ANYTHING TO JUMP IN AND GO, SHOULD ANOTHER VEHICLE BECOME SICK!

NOW BACK TO YOUR SITUATION

SOMETIMES A TECH SCHOOL(OR HIGH SCHOOLS) WILL TAKE IN VEHICLES TO REPAIR (NO LABOR CHARGES) ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS BUY THE PARTS TO HAVE IT REPAIRED (TIME PERIOD MAY LINGER)

I RECKON IF IT CAME DOWN TO IT, IT COULD ALSO BE DONATED TO THEM FOR A TAX EXEMPTION. THERE ARE OTHER DONATION PLACES TOO. RUN AN ADD ON CRAIG'S LIST, SOMEONE WILL SURELY SNATCH IT UP!

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU COME UP WITH!

NOW THAT THE CLEAR COAT IS HALF GONE, I NEED A LITTLE PAINT GUN PRACTICE BEFORE I REPAINT MY '46 WILLYS JEEP, I TOLD THE WIFE I WAS GONNA PAINT 'LIL RED OLIVE DRAB AND STENCIL "COMMAND CAR" ON BOTH DOORS IN WHITE!

Friday, December 11th, 2015 AT 7:49 PM