Hooked up battery wrong by accident

WESTON454
  • 1975 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Hi, I have the truck listed above 30 crew cab dually. Hooked up battery wrong, little bit of smoke came up from driver side firewall, no sparks or anything just wondering what to do. I have tried everything and keep getting frustrated. I heard someone talk about inside the alternator once and the ignition module or something and I am not sure what to check. Maybe buy a new alternator?
Wednesday, May 15th, 2019 AT 8:48 PM

MOTOR MASTER
Hello my name is Dave.

Hooking up the battery backwards can be very destructive but luckily for you your truck doesn't have a computer so it won't be as bad to repair. First thing I would check for is if you have voltage to the distributor, I have a feeling you won't. It is unlikely that the distributor has been damaged unless you had the key on when you hooked the battery up. One thing you didn't mention is if the engine turns over. If it does a simple test would be to put a jumper wire to the distributor where the red wire goes into the cap. Then try turning it over and see if it starts. If it does then I would start to chase down the burnt wire(s). Another question I would have is what else electrical isn't working, headlights, tail lights, horn etc. If you can check these things and let us know if it starts by powering the distributor then it will be easier for us to help you figure out what else you need to do. It would also help to know how long the battery was hooked up backwards. Let us know what you find and thanks for using 2CarPros.
+1
Thursday, May 16th, 2019 AT 4:06 AM
WESTON454
I did not have the key on when my friend hooked it up, the engine does not turn over at all not even any dash lights or nothing. I will try powering the distributor. It was hooked up wrong for maybe five days because he didn't even know what went on so he left it.
Thursday, May 16th, 2019 AT 6:18 AM
MOTOR MASTER
There is a possibility you burned a fusible link at the starter, if you're lucky that's what happened. I would check the smaller wires coming off the starter for power after the fusible links by probing them with a test light.
+1
Friday, May 17th, 2019 AT 5:42 AM
WESTON454
Okay, I will check that out and also I found a kind of burnt wire connector on the alternator and it was kind of all bubbly. So I was going to ask about that too.
Friday, May 17th, 2019 AT 6:40 AM