2006 Honda Odyssey Power sliding door works intermittently

MILWEN
  • 2006 HONDA ODYSSEY
2006 Honda Odyssey

The driver's side power sliding door acts as if it's stuck when I try to open or close it. I normally have to try it 2 or 3 times before it will open or close. When it does start sliding everything works normally although when opening it jerks open. I can hear the initial motor sound even when it doesn't move, it makes a beeping noise, and it sometimes even moves a little bit.
Monday, November 30th, 2009 AT 3:01 PM

HONDA TECH 1818
Check the sliding door center roller it could be worn.
Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 1:27 AM
VIPERMAN789
Milwen,
I was wondering if you were able to resolve this issue. I was so excited when I found your post because I have the exact same problem. If you have resolved it please let me know what the fix was.

A few additional notes about my specific problem are that if I turn the power doors off and operate it manually, it works fine. Also, it may be a coincidence, but our problem started around the same time as we had a new battery installed.
Sunday, December 27th, 2009 AT 5:53 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi viperman789,

If the sliding doors were opened when the battery was replaced, you need to reset the control unit to get it operating correctly. Perform the following to see if it helps.

RESETTING THE POWER SLIDING DOOR CONTROL UNIT

If the battery terminal is disconnected or No. 7 (7.5 A) fuse in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box is removed while the power sliding door is operating, the power sliding door will not be able to be opened or closed automatically until it is reset. To reset the system, fully close the sliding door manually. Once the battery terminals are reconnected or No. 7 (7.5 A) fuse in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box is replaced, the power sliding door system will automatically reset. Make sure the power sliding door operates properly.

If the above dose not help, then you would have to try to retrieve for trouble codes which requires the Honda Diagnostic System scanner.
Sunday, December 27th, 2009 AT 7:02 AM
VIPERMAN789
KHLow2008,
Thanks for the quick response. If I understand your description correctly, the issue you describe sounds different from what I am experiencing. Your post specifically says "the power sliding door will not be able to be opened or closed automatically until it is reset." I am able to use the power door some of the time. Maybe 2 of 3 times. It tries to operate every time, but is held back by some thing. I am sure that the battery was connected and the fuze was in place which should have automatically reset the power sliding door system, yet the door remains intermittent.
Monday, December 28th, 2009 AT 10:05 AM
KHLOW2008
As problem is intermittent, where control units are concerned, sometimes resetting works. Give it a try.
Monday, December 28th, 2009 AT 12:15 PM
VIPERMAN789
I agree with it being intermittent resetting is worth a try. I removed and replaced the fuse you recommended (then about 3 others I read could do the trick) with no noticeable difference. I also disconnected the battery for about an hour then reconnected with no noticeable difference. Guess it may be time to just take it to the dealer. Thanks for the help.
Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 7:55 AM
KHLOW2008
Before going to the dealer, try if this works.

RE-HOMING THE DOORS

If the power slide door control unit has lost power for any reason (battery disconnected, etc.), The doors must be re-homed before they will work properly. The power sliding door control unit must relearn the door's home position so it can use the revolution sensor to keep track of the door's position when it is moving.

1. Erase the sliding door DTCs by removing the No. 7 fuse from the under-dash fuse/relay box.
2. Turn off the Main switch for the doors. Make sure the ignition switch is in LOCK (0).
3. Fully close the power sliding door manually (the control unit must see the full latch switch and the ratchet switch closed at the same time).
4. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II). Turn on the Main switch.
5. Test the door operation with the power sliding door switch, the remote transmitter, and the door handles.

Happy New Year
+2
Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 8:51 AM
VIPERMAN789
Same problem remains. I was not fully sure when to replace the fuse, so I did:
1. Erase the sliding door DTCs by removing the No. 7 fuse from the under-dash fuse/relay box. [7.5 A "backup"]
2. Turn off the Main switch for the doors [was already off, turned on then off]. Make sure the ignition switch is in LOCK (0) [was already].
3. Fully close the power sliding door manually (the control unit must see the full latch switch and the ratchet switch closed at the same time) [already closed, opened fully then closed fully].
[replaced the fuse from step 1, then repeated step 3]
5. Test the door operation with the power sliding door switch, the remote transmitter, and the door handles. [Only did the buttons, worked for open, worked for close, then failed to open 3 times in a row]
-2
Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 10:59 AM
KHLOW2008
After removing the fuse, replace it before continuing with step 2.

When you replace it at step 3, the control unit does not have the power in its memory to recognise anything.
+1
Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 11:08 AM
VIPERMAN789
After performing the steps as suggested the door does seem to work much better although the problem is not completely gone. While testing it failed about 3 out of 20 times. It previously failed about 1 of 3 times, so it is much better, but there is still something going on.
Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 11:05 AM
KHLOW2008
Snce the resetting helps, retry setting it a few times and retest.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2010 AT 5:35 AM
SLIDERJOE
Your bushings, rollers, and guide tracks are probably filthy. Clean them all up and apply some new grease to get back the smooth operation of your doors. This fix seems so obvious to me, but every forum I come across with this same issue, it never gets addressed.

Your sliding door is a mechanical object which requires regular & proper cleaning and lubrication. Especially today's newer vans, which have a much tighter tolerance to their moving parts, and use cheaper materials (i.E. Plastic) which makes them more susceptible to jamming and failure if they don't get cleaned and greased occasionally. Just make sure you use the recommended lubricant which should be listed in your owners manual, since any old grease might end up attracting more dirt and actually damage your bushings and rollers instead of protecting them.
+1
Saturday, January 16th, 2010 AT 9:39 AM
AARONKOPPER
I also have a 2006 odyssey and lately the driver's side door is making a 'popping' sound when it opens. Almost like something is catching, then snapping to allow it to open. I lubricated all the tracks, rollers, etc. And it still does it. The battery has not been replaced, the power has not been interrupted - it just started getting stuck and making the 'pop' as it opens. I'm stumped. There's no dirt or foreign objects in the way as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?
Tuesday, January 26th, 2010 AT 11:28 PM
KHLOW2008
Turn the main switch OFF and manually operate the doors to check if the same problem of sticking occurs. If does, the door or the latch might have gone out of adjustment and requires readjustment.

Check if the door is flush and level when closed. Just at the point of closing, check if the door is level.
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 11:36 AM
AARONKOPPER
Thanks for the tip. The door is completely flush and level, and when I opened/closed it manually, it works just fine (a little hard to do because the track has just been greased), and no 'sticking' or popping occured. But then again, even using it automatically, it doesn't always pop and click. I'll see if it does it again.
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 2:12 PM
KHLOW2008
If the noise is intermittent, it could be something inside the door panel that works the unlocking mechanism is worn or sticking.

You would have to remove the door panel to check.
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 3:33 PM
KAWERKAMP
Please update if you determine a solution to your doors. My 2006 has had the exact same issue with the driver's side sliding door for two years--it's become so annoying! It's gotten progressively worse over time, and now sometimes take up to 5 tries to get the door to open or close. It often makes a "popping" sound when opening, but most of the time, the door motor starts to engage, then halts and the door beeps. Doesn't matter if I use the button on the dash, my keychain or the door handle itself. Each time I take it into Honda, the mechanics just lube the door and claim they can't figure out what's going on (and of course the door is on its best behavior whenever I take it into the shop!). Very frustrating. I think I'm going to ask them to open the door panel to see what's up (better be covered by warranty since this issue started a year after buying it and the Honda shop has record of us bringing it in time after time). Please keep us posted on your progress!
Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 3:13 PM
HEYMAC
Ref: Door on 2006 Odyssey popping and******. Mine has done it since I had a power failure and battery change. The procedure "Re Homing the door by KHLOW 2008 worked for me! (Note replace the fuse before going to step two) Thanks for taking the time to summit this fix!
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 5:02 AM
KHLOW2008
Not all problems are due to the same cause so it would work for some but not for others.

There are others which are due to problems with rollers, motors or cables.
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 12:50 PM
PAGGI24
I have a 2006 odyssey. My drivers side sliding door opens and closes fine but when it does closes for some reason the motor pushes the back end of the door further in and then pops back out which gives an annoying beeping sound while I drive and shows that the side door is open what could this be any help is appreciated thanks.
+1
Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 AT 2:30 PM