ALTERNATOR REMOVAL

2000 Honda Odyssey

lmuys

August, 11, 2010 AT 1:23 PM

2000 Honda Odyssey 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

when taking out the alternator, do you have to remove anything else to snake it out? My son is at home trying to do this while I'm here at work and he says he can't get the alternator out - it is completely disconnected but there are things blocking it from getting it out from the top or dropping it out the bottom. Help? (Thanks in advance)

August, 12, 2010 AT 9:39 AM

Hi lmuys,

Tha alternator is at top of engine and not much is blocking it. Did he get the component correct?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_AlternatorComp00OdysseyFig01_1.jpg

lmuys

August, 12, 2010 AT 11:30 AM

Thanks KHLow2008,
When I got home and played and pondered, I saw that I just had to remove the plastic power steering reservoir, the reservoir mounting bracket and disconnect the reservoir hose at the power steering pump in order to move that stuff out of the way to clear a path for the alternator to come out (an A/C hose passes over all this and is the main thing prohibiting extraction). Job done - now I need a new battery!

August, 12, 2010 AT 1:13 PM

Why do you need a new battery?

If it had been drained flat, recharging it would work. Use a jumper and let the engine charge it back.

lmuys

August, 12, 2010 AT 1:30 PM

I'm assuming the battery is bad - my wife is getting it checked out today at Costco where we bought it 3 years and 1 month ago (naturally, 1 month past the " full replacement" warranty!). I bought a charger and charged it overnight, but I don't think it took a charge because when I started the van after the alternator replacement, it didn't crank real strong, so I shut it off within a couple minutes because I heard you can ruin an alternator with a bad battery. So, to be cautious, I pulled out the battery and the wife is taking it to Costco to get it checked out and hopefully they'll give us a good pro-rating on a new battery if in fact it checks bad.

August, 12, 2010 AT 2:03 PM

Guess the age of the battery is catching up.

Might as well get it replaced.

Have a nice day.

Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator testing done right
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML