1995 Honda Odyssey no AC in front, but AC in back works?

CHRISISHERE
  • 1995 HONDA ODYSSEY
I tuned on my air for the second or third time his year. The front ac stopped working and now blows warm to hot air. I had radiator replaced with a Performance brand, aftermarket one about two weeks ago. The ceiling ac in the back blows cold air. What could the problem be? Thanks for any help. Chris
Monday, May 17th, 2010 AT 9:52 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi chrisishere,

Thank you for the donation.

Problem is most likely due to the air mix cable out of adjustment. Here are the procedures for adjusting.

AIR MIX CABLE
Remove clip and heater duct from heater unit. At air mix door linkage (bottom right side of heater case), disengage cable housing from clamp and disconnect cable wire from control arm. At heater control panel, select maximum cool position and hold it in this position. At air mix door linkage, reconnect cable wire to control arm. Gently slide cable housing back to eliminate slack, then snap cable housing into clamp. Adjust heater valve cable.
-1
Friday, May 21st, 2010 AT 3:48 PM
CHRISISHERE
I leave it on fresh air only and do not use recirc. Afraid if I use recirc it is going to break on me again. Does this help confirm the diagnosis?
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 1:06 PM
KHLOW2008
The fresh air vent and air mix are 2 different thing and are not related to the warm air.

Only the air mix door would affect the cold and warm air from the A/C.
+1
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 2:04 PM
CHRISISHERE
Ac in front works for a while, but withoutout warning it starts blowing warm/hot air in the front. The air works fine in the ceiling ducts for the back seats and do not lose their ac cooling ability.

I am writing again just to confirm that you think it is the air mix door being out of adjustment. The mechanic I am using has been unable to fix the problem. He said if it were the air-mix door then the problem wouldn't be intermittent, but constant instead.

Could it be anything else?
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 11:53 AM
KHLOW2008
Did your mechaninc perform the air mix cable adjustment? If he refuses to perform the adjustment, time to get a new mechanic.

Apart from the air mix cable, the other cable to adjust would be the heater valve cable.

System is not automatic climate control so apart from the above mentioned, there is no other things that can affect the temperature as the rear are blowing cold indicating the A/C system is not at fault.

The orther possible fault would be the air mix door sponge has deteriorated and is not providing sufficient sealing when closed. Repair would require the heater housing to be removed and that means taking the whole dash out.
-2
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 12:03 PM