No spark

BEARSAUTO1026
  • 1990 HONDA CIVIC
My car has no spark, but engine turns over when I turn the key. The engine has compression and I can hear the fuel pump prime for about ten seconds engine cranks but produces no spark. I have replaced the distributor and checked the main relay. I have checked the power at the bulk and yellow wire at the two line plug on distributor and it has battery voltage. After replacing the distributor I was able to get the car to start and run only to return when I shut the engine down. I have no other direction to pursue.
Sunday, January 22nd, 2017 AT 11:45 PM

KEN
Hey BEARSAUTO1026,

This sounds like an ignition coil problem, when you replaced the distributor did you get a rebuild one or used?

Best, Ken
-1
Friday, January 27th, 2017 AT 1:19 AM
BEARSAUTO1026
I replaced the distributor with a new one. After more searching I've did some more testing. The igniter connectors blk and y have battery v the Blu and what has battery v. The green and y has cont. The blue wire does not is this a indicator of the direction I should take
Monday, February 27th, 2017 AT 10:36 PM
KEN
Here is a testing procedure for you.

Perform an input test for the igniter unit after finishing the fundamental tests for the ignition system and fuel emission system. Check for blown No.32 (50 A) fuse in the dash fuse box before testing.
Remove the distributor cap, the leak cover and the rotor.

Disconnect the WHT wire, BLK/YEL wire, WHT/BLU wire, and the BLU wire from the igniter unit.
Use a voltmeter to check for battery voltage between the BLK/YEL wire and the body ground with the ignition switch ON
.
A) If there is no voltage, check for an open in the BLK/YEL wire between the igniter unit and the ignition switch.

B) If there is battery voltage, go to step 4.
Use a voltmeter to check for battery voltage between the WHT/BLU wire and the body ground with the ignition switch ON.

A) If there is no voltage, check for:
-Faulty ignition coil.
An open in the WHT/BLU wire between the igniter unit and the ignition coil.

B) If there is battery voltage, go to step 5.
Check for continuity between the WHT wire and the body ground.

A) If there is no continuity, check for:
An open in the WHT wire between the igniter unit and the PGM-FI ECU. -Poor ground at thermostat housing (G101 or G151). Refer to Cooling System / Cooling Fan Motor / Diagrams. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Cooling System Radiator Cooling Fan Motor Diagrams Electrical

b) If there is continuity, go to step 6.
Check for continuity between the BLU wire and the body ground.

An open in the BLU wire between the igniter unit and the tachometer or the A/T control unit. -Poor ground at thermostat housing (G151), left front fender well next to washer bottle (G301) or left kick-panel (G401). Refer to Cooling System / Cooling Fan Motor / Diagrams. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Cooling System Radiator Cooling Fan Motor Diagrams Electrical

b) If there is continuity, go to step 7.
If all continuity and voltage tests are normal, but the engine won't start, replace the igniter unit.
NOTE : The igniter unit may be covered under the manufacturer's emission warranty. Contact the appropriate agency before replacing.

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken
+1
Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 AT 10:28 AM
BEARSAUTO1026
I did the test you suggested and cleaned all (2) grounds. I found that seeing that there is no tack on my 1990 Honda Civic DX that the blue wire from the distributor is linked to the T/A. Is it recommended to change out the T/A and that would end this nightmare. Is a open at the blue wire is it enough to cause this problem
-1
Monday, March 6th, 2017 AT 10:46 AM
KEN
We are missing something, here is a wiring diagram so you can do some testing, if all checks out the distributor is bad and you need another one to get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken
Monday, March 6th, 2017 AT 11:41 AM