1996 Honda Del Sol Battery care

• 1 POST
  • 1996 HONDA DEL SOL

1996 Honda Del Sol 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

AAA put a new battery in my car in March 2008, but it failed twice in under a year (in November 2008 and January 2009). I got conflicting advice from each of the techs that came out. Can you advise which is right? (No accessories were left on either time) One tells me that as long as I drive the car every other week, the battery will hold its charge. The other tells me that that isn't enough and every other day I have to start the engine and turn it off after a minute. The second advice seems questionable since it seems to me that that would drain the battery.

Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 7:42 PM

Well, in my opinion they are both off. If the vehcile set for an extended period of time and there is no one around to start it at least once a week and run run till it reached Operating temp. You don't have to drive it. Oh, and the run it for a minute and shut it off won't drain the battery. It won't charge it because it isn't run long enough.

Now, if there is no one around to start the vehicle then your best option would be to disconnect the batter cable or just remove from the vehicle and store it in a warm area.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 7:55 PM