Temperature gauge - Honda Civic

CURTISMARTELL
  • HONDA CIVIC
2003 Honda Civic Si 2 door coupe - 132,000 kms
Car will take forever to heat up, usually have to start driving before it heats up fully. Car drives fine and runs smooth, but when I come to a stop, put the car in park, and let it run idle, the temp gauge needle inside the car starts dropping towards the "C". The heat blowing out from the vents starts to cool off as well. Once I put it back in drive and start moving again, the gauge climbs back up to the normal midway mark, and no problems. I replaced the temp sensor with no luck, and was told to replace the thermostat by a few techs, and did that, but still no luck. Coolant level is fine and no leaks. Thermostat I got I bought from Honda. No mechanice seems to know what's wrong with it. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 9:49 PM

BRUCE HUNT
Does anyone know if the control on the plenum is vacuum operated? If so a leak could be closing the door as the vehicle idles and it looses pressure but when reving the vehicle the vacuum is enough to open the door. Just thinking on paper.

Other than that I see no logic to this. For instance, do you really know for sure that the temp is dropping in the engine?
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 11:09 PM
CURTISMARTELL
Thanks for the reply. No, I do not really know the engine itself is cooling down. I don't know much about cars. All I can tell you is that the needle goes down, the electric fan will not come on during this time, and the air blowing out of the vents gets cooler. I hope this helps, thanks.
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 6:17 AM
BRUCE HUNT
The issue to me has only one solution; the thermostat is sticking open. This could be caused because of a defective thermostat, even though it is new or it could be that you have something like a part of the gasket keeping the thermostat open.
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 2:20 PM
BRUCE HUNT
After thinking about this, is the fluid level slowly dropping in the coolant?
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 3:14 PM
CURTISMARTELL
I don't believe the collant level to be dropping. The coolant level in the resevoir seems to stay in between the min and max points. Although, when I changed my thermostat, the mechanic topped up the antifreeze to the top of the resevoir. Now it is back down around the half way point, but I believe it went down just because of the overflow. I know it sounds a lot like the thermostat to me as well, cause I asked a few other mechanics, and that's what they told me. I just put a new one in, but of course that doesn't mean the new one was any good. What were you thinking could be the problem?
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 3:18 PM
CURTISMARTELL
Also, just noticed something. Fan doesn't come on when I turn on the air conditioning. The fan is sparatic. When it does come on, it shoots the rpm's way up. Don't know if that helps anyone
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 6:18 PM
BRUCE HUNT
The fan is something that should be looked in to. But, what I was pointing to on the coolant was good chance that the head gasket could be failing.
Friday, December 29th, 2006 AT 2:11 AM
CURTISMARTELL
Thanks for the reply. If it was the head gasket that was failing, wouldn't the car be overheating instead of cooling down?
Friday, December 29th, 2006 AT 3:40 AM
CURTISMARTELL
Please, any other ideas?
Tuesday, January 16th, 2007 AT 2:44 PM