TEMP GAUGE PROBLEM ON

2003 Honda Civic

curtismartell

December, 17, 2006 AT 9:01 PM

2003 Honda Civic 2 door coupe - I start up the car, it warms up fine, maybe a little longer than normal, and as I drive away, the car drives fine, normal operating temp, (just below the half mark). But when I stop and put the car in park for about 5 or 10 minutes, the temperature gauge starts to drop. The fan itself comes on, but the temperature continues to slowly decrease towards the " C" . When I put the car back in gear and start driving again, it will go back to normal operation temperatures. Please, any ideas would help. A smart individual already told me to replace the thermostat, which I am going to do, but just wondering if anyone else can confirm that, or give me any other ideas in case that will not work. Thanks.

Also, I just replaced the temperature sensor because my mechanic told me that was the problem, but no luck!

Temp Gauge

carundell

December, 18, 2006 AT 5:34 AM

Hey curtis,
Re post after you replace the t-stat and lets go from there.

Chris

curtismartell

December, 18, 2006 AT 2:58 PM

Hey, thanks for the responses everyone. Sorry about being so obnoxious, I just worry alot. I have had a lot of different cars over the years, and a lot of probelms. I always think the worst. The thermostat and gasket will be in friday, so I will get it put in and will repost and update the situation. Thanks.

curtismartell

December, 21, 2006 AT 7:44 AM

Hey. Just got back from the garage. Replaced the thermostat and the gasket and let it run, filling it up with antifreeze, and heat seems to start coming back, but the temperature gauge still keeps dropping. Any ideas? Already replaced the temp sensor as well. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Bruce Hunt

December, 21, 2006 AT 9:29 AM

You say that when you idle the engine goes toward the cold mark on the temp gauge, right? You also said that the fan is on, right? Knowing that you have done this on your own, try unplugging the fan. Watch the temp and, of course, if the engine starts to heat up too much stop and rehook the fan. But what I was getting to was whether the car still goes toward cold when idling and no fan is blowing. If the guage still moves to the cold mark, there is something screwy going on. Try it and let us know what the guage does.

curtismartell

December, 21, 2006 AT 9:39 AM

Thanks for the response. From what I can tell, when the mechanic and I were letting it run in the garage, the temp gauge needle went down towards the " C", but the fan was not coming on. Like, I said, it runs fine when in gear, and the temp stays around the mid mark on the gauge, well, just below the mid mark. Just when its idleling does the temp gauge needle go down. Now, the mechanic tells me there are 2 different types of sensors in this honda car, and I should try replaceing the other one. I can't affford to keep replaceing things on his trial and error method, so I was wondering if someone had another idea?

curtismartell

December, 22, 2006 AT 3:54 PM

Well, got back yesterday from replacing the thermostat at the garage, and no improvement. Car takes extremely long to heat up, and when I am driving, it is fine, but when I put it in park and let it run idle, temp starts to go way down and it blows out colder air. Thermostat I got was from the honda dealer. Any other ideas anyone?

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer