LOST COMPRESSION HELP

• Fl_newcomer27
  • HONDA CIVIC

I have a 1995 Honda Civic Lx 1.5 5 speed. I recently changed the head in it. It ran like a beauty for a five days or so then just died suddenly. The cam chipped itself and it jumped time I set the time and replaced the cam. Still no compression help me please.

Saturday, February 10th, 2007 AT 8:13 PM

• Bruce Hunt

Not sure what "chipped itself" means. But, what is the likelihood that there is something not set right and there is a valve that is open at the wrong time thus giving no compression?

Monday, February 12th, 2007 AT 9:47 AM
  • Fl_newcomer27

The cam shaft where the timming belt sprocket goes chipped on the end where the sprocket is bolted to cam where it is slotted at.

Monday, February 12th, 2007 AT 4:50 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

Thanks for the info. You need to double check the settings of the crank and cam as it appears that a valve is slightly open or you have a leak and it should be easy to hear or see.

Monday, February 12th, 2007 AT 4:53 PM
  • Shortydee63

When sitting the timming what two pistons remain up and what two remain down

Monday, February 12th, 2007 AT 8:10 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

#1 is always supposed to be up.

Tuesday, February 13th, 2007 AT 8:20 AM
  • Shortydee63

Could you explain to me how to set my cam and cam shaft to set my timming. If no 1 is always up is it the only one up and the others down? I'm sorry this is my first time on a honda if you could just walk me thru it I would be forever grateful.

Tuesday, February 13th, 2007 AT 9:48 AM
  • Rasmataz

The no.1 and no.4 should be up- Put the engine's no.1 piston on compression stroke, find the timing indicator it should be real close to the scale-take a socket help it to the 0 mark. Take a rod and feel for the piston whether its all the up on the no.1 and also the rotor in the cap should be pointing to the no.1 sparkplug wire tower.

Now look at the cam and crank sprockets alignment per the book if not you have to do it all over. The ValveTrain and Ignition Timing must be met in order for the engine to fire.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, February 14th, 2007 AT 4:42 AM
  • Fl_newcomer27

Can I use a manual for 1996-2000 to adjust motors timing correctly. I can not find a manual where I live for 1995 honda civic lx 1.5

Friday, February 16th, 2007 AT 12:03 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

On the hood there is a timing specification. Use that as the setting point and I am going to assume that you know about general timing. On the Honda, can you find the pig tail clip that is used to jumper the computer? It should be up under the dash in the corner above the passenger feet. This clip should be jumpered with a wire to connect both sides. This disables the computer and you can adjust the timing from there. Once you have it set take the jumper back off.

Friday, February 16th, 2007 AT 1:14 PM
  • Fl_newcomer27

Okay here is what I have come to understand about the timing. I have to set the tdc mark with the pointer on the timing belt cover. Then I am to turn the crankshaft counter clockwise 360 degrees back to tdc. But do line it up with the timing belt cover mark again or the pointer on the block. That is where I am now confused.

Friday, February 16th, 2007 AT 6:26 PM