How to change Distributor O-ring on 1998 Honda Civic

WANKEL70
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
Hi,

I own a 1998 Honda Civic Vtec SOHC with 66,000 miles on it. The other day I was looking at the engine and I spotted some oil around the transmission and engine. It seems like it is leaking from the distributor.

Can the O-ring be changed with ease or do I have to take it to a mechanic. I have tools and mechanical skills.

The reason I am asking this is because I called a shop and the person told me it can't be done at home because I needed special tools to take out the distributor.

Since he said that I haven't tried to take it to avoid breaking it like he said.

Thank you,

Angel
Monday, January 15th, 2007 AT 9:32 AM

BRUCE HUNT
Is that the 4 cylinder engine? Let me know right away and I will walk you through it.
+1
Monday, January 15th, 2007 AT 10:19 AM
WANKEL70
Hi,

Yes, it is a 4 cyl. Engine.

Thank you,

Angel
Monday, January 15th, 2007 AT 2:42 PM
BRUCE HUNT
This isn't all that tough. First, take some fingernail polish and make the location of the distributor. You can see where the distributor meets the head and the three bolts that hold the distributor housing in place. The distributor when loosened can be rotated to adjust the timing of the engine. I am asking you to make the position of the housing on both the head and the distributor so that you can line it up just fine to keep the timing set. OK so far?

Next using I think a #12 wrench take out the three bolts that hold the distributor housing on to the engine. You may or may not have to unhook the electrical connections. Pull the distributor housing out of the head and you should see the o ring. Don't fret about getting it in wrong and the slot only lines up one way when you go to put it back in. REMEMBER to put a coating of oil on the new o ring when you go to put it on the dist and when it is being slid back in to the head. Line up your finger polish marks put in the bolts and tighten it up. That should do it.
+1
Monday, January 15th, 2007 AT 6:15 PM
WANKEL70
Hi again,

Bruce, I want to thank you for your time. I bought the seal yesterday and installed it as you said. It a 1-2-3 job. I just marked, loosen the bolts, cleaned the area, put oil on the seal and closed.

I knew that it could not be the way the mechanic I called told me. ( Special tools, careful not to break whatever part he mentioned). I guess he tried to scam me.

Once again thank you very much.

Angel
Wednesday, January 17th, 2007 AT 9:16 AM
BRUCE HUNT
You are welcome and that is one of the big reasons we are here!
+1
Wednesday, January 17th, 2007 AT 10:42 AM