Brakes

JPROSTANG
  • HONDA CIVIC
1993 honda civic 2 door coupe

The brake pedal goes right to the floor. I have bleed the brakes several times. There are no leaks. What could be the problem?
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007 AT 4:41 PM

M_H_RITZEL
There is no visible leaks, the lines have been bled and the pedal still goes to the floor, Does the pedal go to the floor with the engine not running and can you pump them up? Has the master cylinder every gone completly dry? Lets try bleeding the master cylinder itself first. With the engine not running you should be able to get some brakes when you pump them up.
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007 AT 5:14 PM
MERLIN2021
You need to look in the dust boots of the calipers to check for fluid that hasn't made it all the way out!
Try this first tho. Get 4 brake hose clamps and clamp the hoses at each wheel. Now step on the brake pedal if it still goes to the floor you either have more bleeding to do, or the master cylinder is NG, If you have a good pedal, take the clamps off one at a time and check the pedal each time, you will find the bad spot this way! When you make it to the leaky caliper removing the hose clamp will cause the pedal to sink to the floor.
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007 AT 5:18 PM
JPROSTANG
The pedal goes all the way to the foor when the engine is running and when it is off. When it is off it is harded to push down but when its turned obn it just goes down with ease. I am pretty sure the master cylinder has gone dry.
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007 AT 7:03 PM
M_H_RITZEL
When you bled the brakes was all the air removed from the lines? I agree with merlin, I could be wrong but something is telling me that there is still air in the lines. Try bleeding each wheel again.
Thursday, August 16th, 2007 AT 9:05 AM
JPROSTANG
I have tried bleeding them again. No luck so far. What is the proper way of bleeding the brakes, so I know im doing it right?
Thursday, August 16th, 2007 AT 12:58 PM
M_H_RITZEL
Bleeding the lines. Do one wheel at a time. There are a couple of diferent ways people do them. Get a small piece of hose. The size that fits over the cap of the bleeder valve and put it on the end. With the other end in a bottle or can with brake fluid covering the end of the tube. Have someone pump up the brakes a few times until the pedal gets harder. When the pedal gets hard the person in the car keeps a steady pressure on the brake pedal. The one under the car bleediing the brakes opens the bleeder valve a little the person in the car will feel the pedal go down, they would keep pressure on the pedal until the one bleeding the lines lets them know the valve is closed and they can release the pedal. Meaning that you have closed the line. If one lets the pressure off the brake pedal before the valve is closed, it could suck air back in when the pedal is released before the bleeder valve is closed. With the end of the hose in a can with brake fluid it is less likely that air will go back in the line. Bleed the lines until you don't see air bubbles comming from the covered hose in the can. When the bleeder valve is closet the person in the car pumps up the brakes again. Then they hold the brake pedal like before. Continue bleeding the brake until all the air is out, after the brake is bled proceed to the next brake. Keep checking the brake fluid resevior so it does not run dry. Keep filling it each time you bleed each wheel.
Thursday, August 16th, 2007 AT 2:27 PM
JPROSTANG
Alright it finally worked. Thanks so much. There's one more thing though. Now the right front it making a loud scraping noise. Sounds like metel on metal I think. What could it be? The brakes pads I took off were almost gone. Could it just be the new pads getting warn in?
Thursday, August 16th, 2007 AT 7:45 PM
M_H_RITZEL
New brake pads do work there way in but do not make a metal rubbing sound, recheck the front right brake. Even I sometimes have put brakes in my cars and found that something was just not in right.
Glad you got the brakes rto work.
Friday, August 17th, 2007 AT 10:23 AM