94 Honda Civic ABS Problem

DUCK95
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
I have a 1994 Civic EX Coupe with the 1.6L VTEC with ABS, 127,000 miles. I recently changed the rotors on the car. The ABS light is on and the ABS ECU is giving a code 1-8 or 18, which means accumulator gas leakage. I bled the brakes on the abs unit. I turn the bleed screw with the car off, it vents a little bit of fluid and pressure, thens stops. I start the car back up, the pump comes on runs for about 15 seconds, builds up pressure, and the ABS light goes out. I refill the ABS reservior, I repeat this 3 times and then take the car for a drive. The ABS light never comes on. I shut the car off for the night. The next morning I start the car up, the pump comes on for about 5 seconds, shuts off and the ABS light stays on. Am I not bleeding it correctly, do I have a bad solenoid seals, pressure switch, ect? Thanks for any help.
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006 AT 4:26 PM

CARUNDELL
Hey duck,
I would try another bleed and if the problem persists then I would have to say the ABS accumulator has failed and needs to be replaced. Let us know

Chris
Saturday, December 16th, 2006 AT 4:41 AM
DUCK95
Thanks for the reply carundell. I think that you are correct. I've tried bleeding it a couple more times and the same problem persists. I'm going to pull the fuse for the ABS pump so it doesn't destroy anything until I get a new accumulator installed. Thanks again for the reply!
Saturday, December 16th, 2006 AT 10:24 AM