90 OIL LIGHT IS ON AND CAR SOMETIMES STALLS.

1990 Honda Civic

teachguy

February, 22, 2006 AT 2:03 PM

I have a 1990 Honda Civic hatchback with 1.5l & man. Trans. It has 218K miles and the eng. Was rebuilt at 118k. I have only owned it a few weeks. A couple days ago the oil pressure light started coming on intermittently. Now it stays on. I first checked the oil level and it is just below the upper (full) mark on the dipstick and there is no visible contamination of the oil. One of the last two times I tried it out, it stalled out several times in a 4 block test drive. Today I drove it around the block and it ran fine but the oil light stayed on throughout.

When I checked the oil just after turning the engine off there was oil on the dipstick well above the hashmarks. This suggests to me that the oil pump is working (at least minimally.) Am I right about this?

I usually do my own maintenance but I'm not sure where to start on this one. I've owned these civics for about 12 years now and never had this problem before.

Any ideas?

fisherman

February, 22, 2006 AT 3:21 PM

Find out if they replaced the oil pump when the engine was rebuilt.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler 300
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic