2004 HONDA CIVIC WHY DOES MY OVERFLOW KEEP FILLING UP WITH

• thompsonjdt
  • 2004 Honda Civic

Engine Cooling problem
2004 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

I have just changed my theromostat due to my Honda Civic EX over heating. My car was working great for about a week and then I noticed the temp start to rise again. I opened the hood and noticed a low level of coolant in the radaitor, but noticed I had a full overflow resivor? Does anyone know what this is happening? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 11:50 PM

• caradiodoc

Hi thompsonjdt. Welcome to the forum. This sounds typical of a leaking head gasket. If you see the coolant bubbling in the reservoir when the engine is still cool, suspect the head gasket. The best test is what I call the "sniffer" test. Your mechanic will use a glass cylinder filled with two chambers of a special dark blue liquid. Air is drawn from the radiator through the tube while the engine is warmed up and running. If combustion gases are getting into the cooling system, the liquid will turn bright yellow.

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 1:07 AM