A/C suddenly quit working.

BSCOTT157
  • 2004 HONDA CIVIC
MY A/C was working on Friday. When I got in the car on Saturday. It stayed cold while it was working then all of a sudden just would not work anymore. The blower doesn't even come on when I turn on the blower switch. Even if I just turn on the heater the blower will not come on. All fuses that I can find are good. Even the cooling fan runs but I don't know if there is a separate fan for the A/C. What else besides fuses can I check? If there is a relay problem how do I test it?
Saturday, July 4th, 2009 AT 1:58 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi bscott157,

What you are facing is a fault with the blower fan motor.

Try banging on the blower motor housing and test if the blower starts working. If yes, the motor carbon has worn off and requires replacement.
+3
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 2:12 AM
BSCOTT157
Would this keep the a/c compressor from kicking in?
+1
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 8:37 PM
KHLOW2008
No, the compressor should still kick in if it is turned ON. Just that the compressor might not stay on for too long as the cooling coil would be cold and when that happens, the compressor would cut off.
+1
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 8:06 AM
BSCOTT157
The compressor isn't coming on either. Nothing with the a/c works at all now and this just happened all at once. Could the blower switch inside the passenger compartment be bad since the blower wont come on when the heater is set to come on as well?
-1
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 10:09 AM
KHLOW2008
It would more likely be a fuse problem since so many items failed at the same time.

Check the underhood fuses.
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 11:03 AM
BSCOTT157
All those fuses are good as I stated in the original question. Are there any more fuses anywhere in the vehicle that could be causing this? Could it be a relay?
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 10:03 PM
KHLOW2008
Here are the schematics for the AC. Check through them for fuses and relay. Here is a guide to help you test the relay and wiring diagrams to help you see how the system works.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
+1
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009 AT 3:36 PM
DENTALFITCHIC
Thank you so much it was the blower motor relay on my car :)
Tuesday, July 31st, 2018 AT 1:44 PM