SI 2 DOOR COUPE - HEATING PROBL

2003 Honda Civic

cmartell1978

February, 5, 2010 AT 6:53 PM

Heater problem
2003 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 229000 miles

Hi everyone! This is my first post, I appreciate all the feedback. I have a 2003 Honda Civic as listed above but am having a problem that no mechanic or honda dealer in my area can seem to fix. My car takes a very long time to heat up. I can start the car in the winter, and it will never fully heat up until I start driving. While driving, the heat is fine, not nearly as hot as it used to be, but still heats up to the normal section. If I stop in a driveway or on the side of the road, and put the car in park and let in run in idle, the temperature gauge will start to drop and it will start blowing out cooler air. Once I start driving again, the temperature gauge will start to rise again and start to blow out warm (not hot) air. It is just very frustrating in the winter when you dont have a good heat source for your car.

One other note, while driving, I must leave the blower on the 1st second or third setting to heat up, if I turn the blower dial all the way up, it will not heat up fully. I hope someone can help. Thank you.

Please Help

February, 8, 2010 AT 11:41 AM

Hi cmartell1978,

Was the thermostat checked/replaced?

Do you have any coolant losses or overheating issues?

cmartell1978

February, 8, 2010 AT 9:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have replaced the thermostat with a genuine Honda thermostat, no change. Other than that, there are no coolant losses, and no overheating issues.
To be perfectly honest, when it is warm outside, it seems to heat up fine and produce good heat, it seems to be when it is really cold outside that the problems start.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser