2000 Honda Civic Tune up and timing belt

SYLVIANGOCDANG
  • 2000 HONDA CIVIC
My Honda Civic has about 84,000 miles on it. I'm just wondering if I should change the timing belt and have it tuned up? I checked and the cost is around $500. Would that be a reasonable price?
Thank you!
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 11:28 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi SylviaNgocDang,

Labor time is between 2.5 to 3.5 hours depending on whether oil seals are to be replaced.

Parts cost is about $ 100.

$ 500 inclusive of tuneup and servicing seems reasonable depending on where you are located and local conditions.

Recommended timing belt replacement period is 105 k miles under normal conditions. Under extreme temperature, over 110 degrees F and under -20 degrees F recommended to replace at 60k miles.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 9:22 AM
SYLVIANGOCDANG
Hi again, Thanks for the reply.
I'm currently in San Diego, California. I don't think the weather is that extreme where I have to change the timing belt at 60K miles. My car right now has 84K miles so tuning up is recommended right? I'm thinking on having it done asap since I commute too much for school and work.
About chaning a new timing belt, I should wait till 90K too 100K miles? If so, then the tune up fee wouldn't be that much correct?
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 9:51 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi SylviaNgocDang,

Tuneup is not that important for vehicles nowadays. The things that you need to check would be the spark plugs and oil replacement.

At 84 k miles it should last you up to 100k without problem but I forgot to mention the time frame is 84 months so I would recommend that you get it replaced at 90 k miles max, to be on the safe side.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 10:46 AM
SYLVIANGOCDANG
Thank you so much, CarPros!
I'll have the oil changed tomorrow then. Have a great weekend and i'll get back to you guys to see how it turns out!
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 10:34 PM