2 Problems, possibly related

MOOSE1975
  • HONDA CIVIC
Car Details : 2001 Honda Civic VTI, 152,000 Kms, 1290cc, Automatic.

Hi guys, the 1st problem is a fluctuating RPM / engine power. The fluctuation is between 2000 to 3000 RPM, always while accelerating, sometimes while at a constant speed. The problem is always there after a cold start ( i.E initial start up in the morning or after 4 or so hours not running ) then the problem fades with the RPM / power fluctuation range shrinking steadily, and disappearing after about 20 minutes constant driving.

The 2nd problem is idle RPM fluctuations. I think many people have had this, but It seems related to my 1st problem in that they are usually present together. When the vehicle is stationary, but with the engine under load ( in park or reverse) the RPM will fluctuate; dropping off then (I think) as the computer detects a stall speed, the RPM jumps up again to about 1200 RPM, only to die again, and continue the cycle. But again, it seems this problem is present for about 20 minutes from a cold startup.

I bought a OBD-II scan tool to see what problems could be, only to discover that the connector had been removed, and the wiring rerouted by an alarm installation company ( I am still bewildered by the idiocy of this )

Anyway, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on what things to check and look for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :
Monday, July 23rd, 2007 AT 4:23 PM

Both problems I'll check the throttle position and idle speed control system.
Monday, July 23rd, 2007 AT 4:33 PM