1999 Honda Civic Radiator fan turns off when AC is turned o

REDDRAGUN3
  • 1999 HONDA CIVIC
I just recently installed a complete AC unit from another used 99/00 Honda civic. Also, the radiator was fixed and replace a month before that. Now, when I turn on the AC, the temperature immediately raises up and my car overheats. My mechanic told me that the radiator fan turns off when the AC fan turns on. I can hear the radiator coolant boil and see steam come when I park the car after driving home from work (18 miles) The car also looses coolant after a month or so. I believe this was due to me turning on the AC and not noticing the temperature rise up. I think there might be a leak somewhere but there is no puddle under the car. It might be burning up before it hits the ground. Please help.
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 11:48 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi reddragun3,

Did you check if the radiator fans are working?
If what your mechanic mentioned is correct about the radiator fan turning off when the A/C is turned ON, you have a wiring fault. Check the fuses in underhood fuse box first.

When coolant is depleting, there must be a leakage somewhere. Get a pressure test done to locate the source.
Thursday, August 26th, 2010 AT 12:44 PM
REDDRAGUN3
Hi KHLow2008,

Thanks for the reply. The fans are working just not together. I figured that there would be a wiring fault I just didn't know where to start. I'll take you advise and start with the fuse box under the hood. I'm not sure where to get cheap replacement parts for those relays on the right side (small black cube things) but I'm sure I'll find something with a little research online. Or maybe the honda dealer if I get desperate.

The leakage is killing me? I can't find it. Do you know where I can get a pressure test. Maybe my mechanic can do it? Not sure. But I will try this weekend and hopefully have some good news to post. I very happy and grateful someone just answered my post. It was looking hopeless for me. Now I have a direction will do my best to tackle it this sat/sun. 1 more day I guess without AC. I'll post the outcome. Thanks again.
Thursday, August 26th, 2010 AT 10:15 PM
KHLOW2008
For manual transmision, the radiator and condenser cooling fans do not work together.

The radiator fan would not turn on until the fan switch operating temprature is breached. There is nothing wrong with the system.

Your mechanic should be able to perform a pressure test.

When engine is cold, check the coolant level in radiator. Top up if necessary.
Friday, August 27th, 2010 AT 11:38 AM