1999 Honda Civic

TPERRYMAN
  • 1999 HONDA CIVIC
1999 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

my honda has no electrical power why.
Saturday, June 6th, 2009 AT 11:13 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi tperryman,

Did you check if the battery is drained of current?
Did you check if the battery terminals are securely connected?
Did you test if any component is working? Headlights, hazards etc?
Saturday, June 6th, 2009 AT 11:32 AM
TPERRYMAN
I did check the battery and changed the battery cables, the car then had some power but lost it again when I turned the key. I do not here the starter spinning or have a slow start up from the alternator. What else should I look for.
Saturday, June 6th, 2009 AT 12:00 PM
TPERRYMAN
Saturday, June 6th, 2009 AT 3:11 PM
KHLOW2008
Your problem is due to a power supply disruption and the most likely causes would be :

1. Battery bad. Use voltmeter to test across the battery terminals. It should read at least 12.2 volts. Did you try jump starting? If it works, it should be the fault of the battery.

2. Battery connections. Check the battery terminals for secure and clean contact. When this happens, all other components such as head and tail lights, horns, hazards which does not require the the use of the ignition switch to operate, would fail.

Check the ground cable connection to the transmission. Look out for frayed wires.

3. Ignition switch. A faulty ignition switch would not allow the starting. Slowly turn the ignition key to ON and watch the dash lights. They should stay lit without any flicker. If lights flicker, ignition is bad.

Continue turning to START, if lights goes off and when you release the key to let it come back to ON, lights stays off, turn to OFF and turn back ON again. Try a few times and if the same conditions persists, the ignition switch is bad.

Remember to test the battery condition first.

If vehicle is equipped with security system, close all doors and use key to lock and unlock front door a few times before attempting to start.

Above are basics checks and if they fails, then we have to go into diagnostic and that would require the use of a test lamp and/or voltmeter. If you are mechanically inclined, that should not be difficult.
Saturday, June 6th, 2009 AT 11:00 PM