1998 Honda Civic need advice

ANNGL
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
The a/c started blowing warm air when stopped at lights or going slow. Once I get up speed it starts to cool but not enough. I tried using the freeon, no help. Wouldn't take it at all. What could be the problem?
Sunday, May 23rd, 2010 AT 6:00 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi anngl,

Check if the condenser fan is working.

Overfilling of freon would also cause the problem when the compressor keeps disengaging and engaging.
Friday, May 28th, 2010 AT 12:07 PM
ANNGL
Yes I think this maybe the problem. That's talking money too isn't it? Thank you for replying back to me. Have a great day.
Friday, May 28th, 2010 AT 10:10 PM
KHLOW2008
You're welcome.

If the condenser fan is not working, then it definitely means money needed to get it replaced.
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 8:45 AM
ANNGL
Ok, I know this is going to sound dumb. But I have two fans on my car. Which one is which? If you're facing the car say under the hood. Which one is the radiator and the other air fan?One of them does click on when the ac is on. But the other has not and my temp. Gage seems to rise but not all the way to half way. When the car gets warmer the air from the ac gets warmer also. Got any other ideas, something I may can check myself or have a friend check? I will have the fan checked also. Thank you. It's actually an integra engine.
Sunday, May 30th, 2010 AT 9:47 AM
KHLOW2008
The one on drive side is the condenser fan. It should work with the AC compressor.

The other is the radiator fan and it would work only when the temperature to activate the fan switch is reached.

If the compressor and fans are working, then you would need to get the AC system high and low pressure readings to understand what could be wrong.
Sunday, May 30th, 2010 AT 10:37 AM
ANNGL
Ok, I have noticed the one on the driver side is not working at all. I have checked it. So it looks like it is the fan. Wow, I think I need to go have a dianostic check on it. The other comes on quite frequently. So it must be the fan. Thank you again for keeping in touch. And for your helpful advice.
Sunday, May 30th, 2010 AT 11:28 AM
KHLOW2008
You're welcome.

Yes, that seems to be the problem and to test the fan, you can disconnect it and apply battery voltage to the terminals. If fan works, the you would need to test the relays.
Sunday, May 30th, 2010 AT 11:50 AM
ANNGL
Yes I will do that. Actually I did a little switching around with those under the hood and it does seem to get cooler from start now. It was taking time to cool then gets warmer as slowing down. But it does cool at on start now. Thank you for the advice. I will test that fan tomorrow. You've been very kind.I really do appreciate your help!
Sunday, May 30th, 2010 AT 5:56 PM
KHLOW2008
The main aim of our site is to help and we take it as our responsibility to assist as much as we can.

Keep me posted of any outcome.
Monday, May 31st, 2010 AT 11:58 AM