1996 Honda Civic OIL TREATMENT FACTS

AXIS
  • 1996 HONDA CIVIC
Hi
I have read on some articles that oil additives are bad for hondas. I have been using oil additives almost every oil change for the last 100K miles. What could have been the disadvantage to my engine?At least for now the major problems have not yet arrived, but maybe soon it will. I agree I feel a little loss of power, maybe due to the thickier oil, but I ignored it because I can attain higher top speeds with oil additives on. Pls share some of your knowledge about oil and additives.
Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 12:33 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi axis,

7 out of 10 Honda engines that I have replaced or overhauled are due to failure of the oiling system, the other 3 are due to overheating.

This problem affects all makes and not Honda alone, Toyota have a sludging problem with a judgement against them. This is most likely aggravated by use of oil tretment.

Just had a Toyota Camry with 80 k on the meter with oil pressure light showing when engine is running. Used some engine flush but only managed to get the light off for a few seconds. Camshaft were running dry. Removed the oil sump and there was a layer of sludge at bottom. Oil strainer was 80 % clogged. Cleaned the strainer and retested, light immediately went off. Any longer and the engine would be history.

When oil treatments are used, they would form a layer on any surface that oil splashes onto. Moving areas would be scraped off but those areas that do not have any friction or movement would have sludge buildup as the supposedly protective layer is sticky. Over time this buildup would increase in thickness.

Regular oil change would prolong the process of buildup but if the oil change interval is far in between and with sporadic driving, it is is going to build up rather fast.

When engine is started regularly, problem might not occur but when it sits without moving for prolonged periods, the caking of sludges dries up and the next time the engine is started, the dried layer flakes off when oil splashes onto them.

This dried up sludge then becomes sticky semi-solids which would clog up the oil strainer as the strainer holes were already partially clogged by now.

Why can't you attain top speed without oil treatment? Only reason is if the engine condition is bad. For a new engine, with ot without, I don't see any difference, unless you are using low quality oils.
Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 5:10 PM
AXIS
Tnx a lot. It has been very informative. All the while I thought oil treatment would prolong engine life and prevent costly repairs, just as the product claims. For the top speed, im not sure, maybe because it has 300K on it. Im only using Castrol 10W-30. Oil here in saudi arabia is cheap.16 US dollars/gallon for Castrol, cheaper for the other brands. From now on, I will not use oil treatment.I'll take the advice of the pros.
Saturday, August 14th, 2010 AT 10:42 AM
KHLOW2008
Castrol is a branded oil and I have been using their product for more than 20 years. I have never had any engine failure due to their product and I do not recommend oil treatments.

A good engine oil would help to remove the sludge from the engine and oil should be drained immediately after running the engine. This would prevent the sludge from sinking to the bottom of the oil pan.

Not many mechanics would tell you not to use oil treatments as it would reduce their source of revenue.
Saturday, August 14th, 2010 AT 4:02 PM