1996 Honda Civic compression

• 1 POST
  • 1996 HONDA CIVIC

1996 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 173000 miles

my daughter overheated my car and so we blew a head gasket we replaced that and checked the head over it was not warped and we could not find anything else wrong. Now we checked the compression after it was all put together and it is low is this caused by the timing or are the piston rings burnt out or do you think we missed something on the head. Also I should say when they put it back together it kept sheering the pin on the cam shaft pulley so my brother made one out of steel and it quit doing it.

Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 8:58 PM

What compression numbers are you seeing in all four cylinders? How are you compression testing it? It should be testing with all four plugs out and with the throttle plate at wide open, this ensures that the engine is not fighting anything and there are no restrictions.

Are you sure the cam timing is set properly? Set the crank at TDC and the cam gear should be lined up with its marks.

Sunday, December 14th, 2008 AT 10:18 AM