1996 Honda Civic 96 Civic electrical problem

TVANG285
  • 1996 HONDA CIVIC
My car has a electrical problem. Recently the headlights and the cluster are dimmed and the speed and rpm odometer were dead. I recently changed the alternator, battery, and check all the fuses. However, my car has a kill switch and an alarm install. It was not professor installation. There were smoke coming from inside the dash. What are the possibilities. Could it be some of the wires touching each other such as negative and positive wires. I had check everything that I can think off besides testing all the wires for voltage.

Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 5:10 PM

ERNEST CLARK
It's impossible for me to say with certainty what your problem is, but anytime there's smoke from a circuit, it's bacuse the wires have shorted (to ground or each other), or a component has failed.

If your wires shoted, it should've poped a fuse. Otherwise, they would've burned completely and possibly started a fire.

You should take your cluster apart and have a look.
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 8:50 AM