1994 Honda Civic Overheating

JOE ZASA
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
Just can't figure this one out! It all started with a leaky water pump, so I replaced the water pump and thermostat. Shortly after that the head gasket went out and so I replaced it. Now with all these new parts engine is still running hot. Although it is very specific when it is running hot. It will only run hot when I am running it at a steady speed for about 10 or 15 minutes, if I stop at a light or shift through the gears it will drop from almost being over the normal range to about halfway on the temp gauge. I have bled the system and I don't think there is any air in the system, and I have also run a flush through the system so I don't think it's clogged anywhere, but I can't be sure. If anyone has any thoughts on how I can make this problem quit I would very much appreciate it, I have put way to much work into this car to not have it run right.
Saturday, April 11th, 2009 AT 12:41 PM

F4I_GUY
It sounds like your radiator may be clogged or not flowing properly.

How old is the radiator? Are the fins coming off of it?
Sunday, April 12th, 2009 AT 11:16 AM
JOE ZASA
Hey thanks for replying,

yeah the radiator is original, that would make sense. I have run a bottle of cleaner through the cooling system but that didn't seem too make any difference at all. When I was changing the thermostat I sprayed water through the radiator and the thermostat housing and it seemed to flow all the way through. Do you know if there is a way I can test the radiator the see if it is clogged? Thank you for your time.
Monday, April 13th, 2009 AT 12:31 PM
F4I_GUY
The only way to test the radiator for clogs is to check for hot spots with a thermal gun. You move the gun across the radiator looking to see if it is being clogged in a certain area.
Monday, April 13th, 2009 AT 4:56 PM
JOE ZASA
Hey man I can't thank you enough, I looked up how much the radiators cost for these cars and they are so cheap that I just went ahead and replaced it. It fixed my problem instantly, hasn't heated up at all since I put it in. I am very impressed that you could figure that out from the information I provided you, that was ingenious. Thanks again, Joe
Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 AT 12:36 AM
F4I_GUY
No problem Joe! This is what I am here for.

Glad you figured it out.
Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 AT 7:12 PM