1994 Honda Civic Engine Oil consumption

SYEDAWAISAMJAD
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
I drove this car for like a thousand kms in the last week and before that I added engine oil upto the max level. I just checked this morning and the engine oil level is below minimum. Another point that I noted is that while driving at the end of week when the oil level wasa prolly very low already when I shifted to 5th gear from 4th at high speed the car kinda lost the power like the speed cam down to 80Ks from a 95 after hitting the throttle in 5th gear. And the max speed isnt going beyond 100 max no :( the tail pipe doesnt give any kinda smoke or oil. And oil aint dripping from the bottom of engine either. What do I do?
Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 12:19 AM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Do an engine oil & filter change, use a good quality engine flush, fill oil up using 20W-50 mineral based oil, not the Km's and re check oil after 500 Kms & 1000Kms, advise what the oil usage is like then.

Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 1:20 AM
SYEDAWAISAMJAD
I really appreciate your concern. AActually I am from Pakistan and its summers these days and msx temp is upto 45 to 48 degree celsius. Wouldnt that effect the use of SAE 20W50 oil. Secondly I just got my clutch plate checked too it was completely worn and needed to be replaced. Do u think it can be one of the reasons engine is consuming oil? And I have a sports muffler installed too. Just the tail-pipe and the silencer.
Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 3:59 AM
MHPAUTOS
The clutch & the muffler will not affect the oil consumption, I have customers here in Australia using 20W-50 and our summers can be in the 40Deg range, I have added oil company notes refer to 20W-50 specs to see if this suits your needs.

SAE Viscosity Grade Motor Oil: 10W-40
Temperature Conditions: Above 0 F
Description: The first multi grade introduced. A good choice for controlling engine wear and preventing oil breakdown from oxidation.

SAE Viscosity Grade Motor Oil: 20W-50
Temperature Conditions: Above 20 F
Description: Provides maximum protection for high-performance, high-RPM racing engines. Excellent choice for high temperature and heavy loads such as driving in the desert or towing a trailer at high speeds for long periods of time.

SAE Viscosity Grade Motor Oil: SAE 30 & SAE 40
Temperature Conditions: Above 40 F & Above 60 F
Description: For cars and light trucks, where recommended by manufacturers. Not recommended when cold-temperature starting is required.

Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 4:23 AM
SYEDAWAISAMJAD
Thanks. I am gonna change the oil today and see what happens. :)
Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 10:26 PM
MHPAUTOS
OK,
let me know how that works for you.

Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 11:30 PM