1994 Honda Civic check engine light

HOLLYWOODBIGTIME
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
1994 Honda Civic 70,000 miles

I have a problem starting my car, I have to wait for my check engine light and I hear the fuel pump before I can start it. It seems to get worse in cold or wet weather. I have done test on the electrical system and the main relay and everything is fine. Is it possible it could be the fuel pump gone bad or some kind of pressure valve. I dont know. I am running out of ideas and money and wondering if I should just take it in to a Honda repair shop to have them look at it. Please help
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 2:16 PM

JACK42
The fuel pump is triggered by the PGM-FI relay, if you have tested it and it is good, then the next step is to test for fuel pressure at the engine to see if the pump is slow or weak
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 7:24 AM
BIGBADDADOF1
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
Check engine lights on when I'm driving is stars misfiring when I give it a little bit more gas it kind of stars but then it starts again every time I change gears
Sunday, July 30th, 2017 AT 11:03 AM (Merged)
LIGHTSKIN74
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
Engine problem
1994 Honda Civic Engine Size unknown Wheel Drive Type unknown 84000 miles

Well here is my story. I noticed my check engine light came on last Saturday so I took it to my mechanic. He said it might be my oxygen sensor or catalyst converter (or even my timing belt). So I told him I would bring it back, then when I got back in the car it wouldn't turn on immediately and the battery light came on so I shot over to Pepboys who gave me a new one. However the very next day the car wouldn't turn on immediately again. I tried playing with it a little and it finally did. I took it back to Pepboys but they do not know what is wrong with it (although they said it might be my fuel pump). I am going to Autozone tomorrow to have them run a free diagnostic, if even they can, since my car is kind of old. What should I do at this point? If they can't check the codes because of the age of my car should I just take it to the dealer? Will they be able to give me a definitive answer on what needs to be fixed? I know they are going to charge me $80-90 just to run a engine diagnostic so I am trying not to kill myself dishing out money for no reason. What could it possibly be? I never drive my car besides on the weekends and I had a tuneup last November (06).
Sunday, July 30th, 2017 AT 11:04 AM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Go get the code read done, if any fault code set, have that investigated. Some components won't set a code, so some old fashion detective work may have to take place to solve your problem. Things to check at the basic level are. Ignition voltage at coil, and spark when cranking. Injector pulse, fuel pressure
Start here.

EVERETTE
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
Computer problem
1994 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi, I have a problem with my Honda, my check engine light is burning n my speedometer won't work.
I was driving, on my way home when the came on and my speedometer stopped working then it went back off.
Can you give me a idea of what that can be?
JACK42
Could be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in the trans. If the computer cant see the speed of the car, it cant properly control the trans and will set the light
CROBERTS2011
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
1994 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 209000 miles

Alright, I was driving my car a couple of weeks ago and I pushed the clutch in and shifted into second, released the clutch and gave it gas, it studdered and I immediatly pushed the clutch in and waited until I got on to level ground(I was going down a hill) then I put it back into second and left off the clutch and the motor was turning. But it was not running.(If that makes sense) so from what I understand It just lost all spark all of a sudden. I had it pushed up the hill back to my house and I began trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I replaced the coil in the distributor and reassembled it and the car started right up and ran fine(after it burned off excess fuel) I drove it around back of my house and shut it off and hooked up my stereo and went to go drive around and it would not start.(It ran for probaly 5 min total) It had no spark again. I checked and I have current going to my coil and to my igniton module and the ingnition switch. I have removed the ground to the motor and cleaned around the bolts it is attached to and put the ground back on. I have checked and the check engine light stays on for 2 seconds and goes back off and there are two clicks in the two seconds. I have checked almost everything. Any suggestions?
F4I_GUY
Did you check your fuses? How about the sensors inside the distributor? If you have no camshaft signal from the sensor, the vehicle will not start.
CROBERTS2011
Yes, all of the fuses are good, under the hood and under the dash. And I have not checked the sensors in the dis. How would you/ where are they. What about the MAP sensor? Could that be the problem?
CRZYNB21
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
About three months ago I had my head gasket repaired. Now I am having issues with my car. When you open the radiator look at the coolant it is brown and has a film on it and it and it smells kind of like exhaust. The oil still looks fine it's not runny, the color hasn't changed but it smells extremely rich in fuel. It overheated on me a couple days ago and I haven't driven it since. And I've noticed that I'm losing coolant but I do not see a physical leak on the ground underneath the car. I know this because I filled it to the top drove my car about 10 miles and then checked it later after it cooled down and The level was low. The check engine light came on the same day I drove it to test the coolant level Once I shut off my car and turn it back on again the check engine light was off. I believe the check engine light comes on once the engine is warm not from a cold standstill. Ever since the overheating issue my car idle is really low upon start up and with continued driving. I'm thinking possibly that the cylinder head maybe cracked and or possibly that the engine block is cracked any advice or anything I can test to confirm would be helpful. Thank you for your time and your advice.
Have a pro pressure check system for an internal leak it may have a cracked head or warped.