1993 HONDA CIVIC POWER DOOR LOCKS

• Acrock
  • 1993 Honda Civic

Interior problem
1993 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 69000 miles

I have read on your site where several people have had a problem with the power door locks stop working. Can you give me a direction on where to start to diagnose the problem or if you know the cause for me to start there. Is there a way to diagnoe the door lock control.

Wednesday, August 20th, 2008 AT 5:32 PM

• KHLow2008

Hi Acrock,

Before we are able to suggest what to do, we need to know your problem.

You should describe in details the symptoms etc.

Friday, August 22nd, 2008 AT 9:14 AM
  • Acrock

The electic door locks just stopped working I used a v/o meter to check the seitch on the driver door and it show thwe seitch is working properly. Then I tried checking the door lock actuator on the driver side door there was only one position that the switch showed continuity. I don't know where to begin to check the door lock control unit that is in the driver door. It is a united technolgies unit. I got a unit out of a 92 civic but it is a mitsubishi unit and the electronics inside are completely different even though it uses the same plug for both units. I have even checked the fuse and it is fine.

Friday, August 22nd, 2008 AT 3:56 PM
  • KHLow2008

Hi Acrock,

Is there any power supply to control unit?

Did you test the actuators?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Civic93CentralLock01a_1.jpg

Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 AT 7:19 AM
  • Acrock

I have tested the actuatorswitch in the driver door and it will show continuity when the switch is activated, As for power to the door lock control I haven't checked that yet. It is hard for me to tell from the diagram which wire is the power wire. It seems to me that if a door actuator was bad it would short out and blow the fuse

+1
Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 AT 7:35 AM
  • KHLow2008

Hi Acrock,

If it is shorted, it will, but if it is an open circuit, faulty actuators would not blow any fuses.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Civic93CentralLock01b1_1.jpg

Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 AT 9:38 AM
  • Acrock

Thanks for the blow up of the control unit wiring it makes it alot easier to read. If one of the actuators is bad will it cause the rest not to work or only that door.

Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 AT 10:06 AM
  • KHLow2008

Hi Acrock,

If the actuator is shorted to ground, it will affect the others, otherwise no.

At the # 1 or # 3 of Left Front Power Door lock switch, click it to ground and see if there is any activity from the main control unit, (clicking noise of relay).

If power supply from battery input is available and ground is sufficient, the control unit is faulty.

Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 AT 8:30 PM