1992 Honda Civic cilinder compression

LUIS BARALT
  • 1992 HONDA CIVIC
I had my engine overhauled last year and according to mechanic it was left "new". That mechanic has disappeared from scene (I hope from Earth) and I now find that two of my four cilinders are under compressed, or almost non-functioning. My good little car is thus chugging along pretty faithfully (though when AC is connected it'll stall at idling or even very low speeds) on only two cilinders. My new mechanic (I trust him, yet.) Says it's a valves problem and he'd have to again open up motor, a rather expensive job for an old car. Is there any way of fixing the under compressed cilinders or valves or whatever without too much expense? Anyway. I'll probably sell the car, but I'd rather give it away in a decent condition, as in every other way it's still a beauty, than just take it to the vulture park?
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 AT 2:19 AM

SERVICE WRITER
IF there is low compression the head will need to be removed. $$$

HAving said that, if the car is in nice shape otherwise, it may well be worth it. IF not to you then someone else. The Hondas can go far, beyond 1600000. IF the car is in the northeast and has been exposed to the harsh winters then it may be another story.

HAve him give you an estimate and also a worst case scenario to help you decide.
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 AT 5:56 AM