1991 Honda Civic ELD

SQUIGGY
  • 1991 HONDA CIVIC
1991 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

Hello, I have a 91 civic 1.5 pm5 ecu flashin a 20code. I am not smart enough, or have the right equiptment for these lil gas sippin robots but I love these cars.I had it running good even with it flashing, until I turned the headlights on. Then it idled like I was jumpstarrting someone and my temp guage shot up.I shut the car off but kept the key on. My fan is wired to its own toggle, when I looked under the hood I lost all power! The independently wired fan even! Now the car wont even turn over but that 20code is still there.I was told to check wiring and replace the ELD (electronic load detector) where is the ELD located? Ive put a new alternater, thermostat, replaced the underhood fusebox, and really need help. Thank you all very much!
Thursday, April 29th, 2010 AT 10:07 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi squiggy,

The ELD is inside the main underhood fuse box. You can see a wire cuolpler with 3 terminlas plugged in from above.

Here are the diagnostics for the trouble code.

CODE 20 - ELECTRICAL LOAD DETECTOR

1. Turn ignition off. Remove appropriate fuse for 10 seconds to reset ECU. Start engine, and turn on headlights with engine at idle. Verify if CHECK ENGINE light is on and if LED is flashing Code 20. If Code 20 is present, go to next step. If Code 20 is not present, problem is intermittent. Check for poor connections and loose wires.

2. Turn ignition off. Open lid of main fuse panel in engine compartment. Disconnect 3-wire electrical load detector. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between Black/Yellow (+) and Black (-) wire terminals of harness. If battery voltage is present, go to step 4).

3. If battery voltage is not present, measure voltage between Black/Yellow wire and ground. If battery voltage is now present, repair open in Black wire between connector and ground. If battery voltage is not present, repair open Black/Yellow wire between fuse No. 14 and connector.

4. Turn ignition off. Disconnect connector "B" from ECU side only. Connect Green/Red terminal of load detector harness connector to ground. Check for continuity between ECU terminal B19 and ground. If continuity does not exist, repair open Green/Red wire between ECU connector terminal B19 and load detector connector.

5. If continuity exists, disconnect Green/Red terminal of 3-wire connector on Civic models. On all models, reconnect connector "B" to ECU. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between Green/Red (+) and Black (-) terminals of load detector harness. If 4.5-5 volts is present, go to step 7). If 4.5-5 volts is not present, disconnect connector "B" from main wiring harness,
not ECU. Measure voltage between positive terminal B19 and negative terminal A18.

6. If voltage is now 4.5-5 volts, repair short in Green/Red wire between ECU terminal B19 and load detector connector. If voltage is not 4.5-5 volts, substitute a known good ECU. If correct voltage is now available, replace original ECU.

7. Reconnect load detector connector. Start engine. Measure voltage between positive terminal B19 and negative terminal A18 under following conditions:

" Headlight switch in 1st pos. - Should be 2.5-3.5 volts.
" Headlight switch in 2nd pos. - Should be 1.5-2.5 volts.

8. If voltage is not as specified, replace faulty electrical load detector. If voltage is as specified, substitute a known good ECU, and retest. If condition is corrected, replace original ECU.
-1
Thursday, April 29th, 2010 AT 6:42 PM