1990 Honda Civic Brake and brake bleeding problem

THEGUILBEAUS
  • 1990 HONDA CIVIC
My wheel cylinders on both rear sides went bad a few days ago so I replaced the wheel cylinders, shoes and installed new hardware kit. I go to bleed the brakes and I get nothing but air come out. I noticed that the brake fluid will go down when I bleed the front but not the rear.

In further inspection I notice where the master cylinder and the brake booster meet brake fluid is leaking.

My question is; is my master cylinder or brake booster bad and letting air into the lines.
Saturday, February 27th, 2010 AT 1:34 PM

MATHIASO
Hello theguilbeaus

There is a bypass on the secondary piston in the master cylinder causing the leak between the master cylinder and the booster.
The booster is fine, the master cylinder need to be replaced or rebuild.
The same secondary piston is responsible for the brake fluid that should go to the rear. Fixing the master cylinder should solve the problem.
Saturday, February 27th, 2010 AT 3:51 PM
THEGUILBEAUS
Leak is gone but I still seem to be getting air in the lines. For 15minutes I pumped the RR side with a hand vaccum bleeder. Can there possible be that much air in the lines or do you think something else could be wrong.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 7:48 AM
MATHIASO
Hello theguilbeaus

Tell me how you made the leak to go away?
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 8:43 AM
THEGUILBEAUS
I replaced the master cylinder
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 9:52 AM
MATHIASO
Hello theguilbeaus

I'm confident that you bench bled the master cylinder before you installed it.
follow the bleeding sequence. Start with RR(1) and finish with RR(1)
(Do it in old fashion way,by having someone pumping on the brake pedal.Start with #1 .when brake fluid coming out is clean and without bubbles, ask the helper to hold the pedal down while you screw back the bleeder screw.Make sure the brake reservoir is always full, do not let it empty and let air in the master cylinder, then go the #2 and do the same.)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_0900c15280061d2f_1.jpg

Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 11:00 AM